Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyliner 300P Flex Tube

Albireo380

After weeks and weeks of "humming and hawing" I finally took the plunge two weeks ago and ordered a 300P Skyliner Flex-tube from Steve at FLO. I had to wait 10 days for the next batch to arrive in the UK, but no problem - it rained almost every night anyway. Thanks to Steve for 'phoning me up when the 'scope arrived at the importers and telling me the delivery day. Much appreciated.

I have just spent an hour building the "Dob base", adding on the OTA and then aligning the finder with the 'scope. The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

It is heavy! The Dob base is significantly larger than the one for the 8" or 10" equivalents, having a 60cm diameter and weighing about 12Kgs. The OTA measures 95cm unextended and 145cm extended, weighing in at about 14Kgs. The whole truss arrangement appears robust and the extending trusses seem well engineered. When extending, they snap into fully extended position with a reassuring "click", and one simply tightens the 3 locking screws. The compress the truss down again, simply unlock the locking screws and (using two handles) push gently and evenly down on the OTA handles. The truss then slides smoothly down, reducing length. Then relock the locking screws. EASY.

The 2" Crayford style focusser is nice and smooth - giving about 4-5cm travel.

Unextended, the 'scope looks a bit like R2D2 (see image), so you can guess what I have named her.

Fully extended, this is a BIG 'SCOPE and should provide lots of good observing.

I am now waiting for the next clear evening - which will probably be ages away (curse of the "new 'scope" kicks in).

Tom

"We don't serve their kind here!"

Heh 'We'll have use for you on the master's sale barge' :hello2:

Nice scope Tom. Didn't know they came in the new black diamond livery. Hope you get some clear stuff soon.

Always thought the flex tubes look more like an R5 unit m'self though;

post-13013-13387734471_thumb.jpg

Very nice indeed.

Sorry Tom, but I can't see any night in the near future when you'll get a chance for 1st light; more's the pity.

Hope we meet up when the weather improves (and I can have a look thru it).

Cheers, Martin

Very nice indeed.

Sorry Tom, but I can't see any night in the near future when you'll get a chance for 1st light; more's the pity.

Hope we meet up when the weather improves (and I can have a look thru it).

Cheers, Martin

No problem Martin, when the weather improves, you will get plenty of time to look through it.

I have just finished collimating it. Somewhat to my surprise it wasnt all that far off. A few tweaks of the secondary, then the primary, back to secondary & repeat process - took all of 5 minutes. Interestingly, the secondary collimation screws were as tight as they could be, perhaps for shipping, so much of the collimation was initial overcompensation by slackening screws too much, then easing back to the correct position.

Can't wait for a good observing session with it - the OTA seems so big in comparison to my 8" SCT OTA.

Not much good weather on the horizon though.

Tom

:laughing2: :laughing2: :laughing2:

It looks really compact compared to my Lightbridge.

It's called flex tube and my question is does it, as it only has 3 truss tubes, so is it sturdy?

Hey, Tom. That looks the business. Bags a peep at the next ASG dark skies night!

Happy to oblige BJ 28th Oct, 25th Nov, 27th Jan, 24th Feb & 24th Mar booked at Mugdock, others at Acre Road and Botanics (not very dark skies - more orange skies really) - Hmm, I wonder which ASG member you are?

Not Mac, not Martin, not Eric, not David D (or S, or C), not Eileen ..... hmm Clare? Bob? YES - Bob, he has a C9.25, and etx125 and Megrez 90 - BJ - you must be Bob!

Tom

Hey, Tom. That looks the business. Bags a peep at the next ASG dark skies night!

Happy to oblige BJ 28th Oct, 25th Nov, 27th Jan, 24th Feb & 24th Mar booked at Mugdock, others at Acre Road and Botanics (not very dark skies - more orange skies really) - Hmm, I wonder which ASG member you are?

Not Mac, not Martin, not Eric, not David D (or S, or C), not Eileen ..... hmm Clare? Bob? YES - Bob, he has a C9.25, and etx125 and Megrez 90 - BJ - you must be Bob!

Tom

Got in in one....LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived