Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't get my focus right for Pleiades

Hello all,

I am trying to take some images of Pleiades but stars are appearing is blobs rather than sharp stars. I think its due to bad focus but I have tried my best to do adjust the focus and every time result is same. I am using Nikon D90 and 18-200mm Lens, below attached photo is shot at 200mm f5.6 50 sec exposure using vixen polarie.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

AJ

DSC_0626.JPG 

Looks more like a vibration issue than focusing.  If you take a 2 - 3 sec shot with the same lens (500 rule) without the vixen to see if it is still as bad. You may have to ramp up the ISO to get any detail.  Also try it at 18mm with an approx 20 sec exposure

Hi

You obviously need a bit of a tweak :) How are you visualising the image/focus? A computer screen makes life a lot easier. Failing that, it's trial and error really. You can get Bahtinov masks for lenses (from Gerd Neumann) but they are pricey and again you need a computer screen anyway.

Louise

4 hours ago, MarkyD said:

Looks more like a vibration issue than focusing.  If you take a 2 - 3 sec shot with the same lens (500 rule) without the vixen to see if it is still as bad. You may have to ramp up the ISO to get any detail.  Also try it at 18mm with an approx 20 sec exposure

Thanks Marky,

I have tried without vixen as well and it gives more or less same result. I will try to use the laptop and will try at 18mm as well. Regards

AJ

Archived