NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 HaLRGB with mono DSLR

Xplode

Last year i got my DSLR mono modified and after a while i thought since i got a mono DSLR might as well buy a full set of filters instead of just the narrowband filters others buy for their mono DSLR's.

I bought a set of Baader LRGB, Ha and OIII filters with a manual filter slider system (unfortunately there is no space for a filter wheel because of the backfocus of the camera)

Camera is a mono modified Canon 6D and the scope a 12" f/3.8 newtonian.

The image consists of this data:

Baader Planetarium Luminance: 160x180" ISO1600 

Baader R: 20x180" ISO1600

Baader B: 19x180" ISO1600

Baader G: 21x180" ISO1600

Baader Ha: 23x600" ISO1600

A total of 15 hours of imaging time over 3 nights.

For all i now this is  the first image where a full set of LRGB filters has been used with a mono DSLR.

Click here for a larger version

Version 3 updated 29.10, better Ha than V2 and a little more contrast and color.

M33_HaLRGB9small.jpg

That is really a very pleasing M33 Ole Alexander!

I like the softness. Quite a bit softer than most attempts in the recent M33 processing challenge posted here by John. When I looked at my version in that challenge it looks slightly vulgar compared to your soft one, and I immediately applied a bit of Gaussian blur to mine. It is just so seductive to over-stretch and over-sharpen images. It adds to the conclusion that there is an infinite number of ways to process an image, and most versions have some merits. I imagine the softness in your image is largely processing or do you think it has to do with the equipment?

5 hours ago, gorann said:

That is really a very pleasing M33 Ole Alexander!

I like the softness. Quite a bit softer than most attempts in the recent M33 processing challenge posted here by John. When I looked at my version in that challenge it looks slightly vulgar compared to your soft one, and I immediately applied a bit of Gaussian blur to mine. It is just so seductive to over-stretch and over-sharpen images. It adds to the conclusion that there is an infinite number of ways to process an image, and most versions have some merits. I imagine the softness in your image is largely processing or do you think it has to do with the equipment?

Thank you.

It's a little soft becasuse of collimation not being perfect for all the luminance and also lack of processing, i have done very little other than DBE and adding a little contrast.

There is probably at lot more details in the image to get out with more processing.

Drizzle might be an option with so many subs too, i'll definitely do a test.

1 minute ago, Xplode said:

Thank you.

It's a little soft becasuse of collimation not being perfect for all the luminance and also lack of processing, i have done very little other than DBE and adding a little contrast.

There is probably at lot more details in the image to get out with more processing.

Drizzle might be an option with so many subs too, i'll definitely do a test.

I zoomed in on your M33 and my version of John´s M33 and the level of detail is very similar, your is mainly a bit softer which I found agreeable. If you could squeeze more detail out of it that would of course be interesting. John has 22 hours and you 11 hours of data, but since he used a 6" scope and you a 12" scope, and you probably have a darker sky, I would expect more resolution from your data if it can be teased out.

You ended up with a slightly red background in v2 you need to just draw down the left hand side of the red histogram to get black balance back. Appart from that very good. I have just modified my 1000D which is also cooled. cant wait for some clear skys to see how it performs. :)

Tonight i got some more Ha gathered for a total of 23x600s.

First post has been updated with a new image.

On 27.10.2016 at 03:48, Adam J said:

You ended up with a slightly red background in v2 you need to just draw down the left hand side of the red histogram to get black balance back. Appart from that very good. I have just modified my 1000D which is also cooled. cant wait for some clear skys to see how it performs. :)

Red background has been fixed in V3, thanks for the tip.

Archived