NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Luna Eclipse Friday 16th Sept 2016

Size9Hex

I've just spotted that there's a penumbral eclipse tomorrow evening. Haven't seen any chat on the forum (sorry if I missed it) or much elsewhere on t'internet (although an Astrology site did get pretty excited that it was occurring at exactly the same time as a full moon...).

So are penumbral eclipses just a bit unexciting/unimpressive? Is anyone taking a look?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I hope I haven't derailed my own thread with a reference to an astrology site that was intended as tongue in cheek. Sorry if didn't come across that way.

Back on track, I'll hopefully take a look myself if the weather is clear, even if there's not much to see. It's nice to contemplate these things even if the visual spectacle isn't all that impressive.

Using Skychart ( CdC ) the maximum eclipse occurs at exactly the same time as the moon rises for me here in the west country. 19:24 for both events. That makes it a poor view for the U.K. this time as we will only see the last part of the eclipse, and penumbral eclipses are not that spectacular to start with.

Nigel

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I did spot that on SkySafari, but I suspect it will be hard to spot. The moon is low at the time too I think.

Funny how these events always happen at full moon isn't it? What a coincidence ;);) 

Back in 1999 a work colleague was convinced the last total solar eclipse of that millennium was more meaningful as it coincided with a new moon...

7 hours ago, Astrobits said:

Using Skychart ( CdC ) the maximum eclipse occurs at exactly the same time as the moon rises for me here in the west country. 19:24 for both events. That makes it a poor view for the U.K. this time as we will only see the last part of the eclipse, and penumbral eclipses are not that spectacular to start with.

Nigel

That's a good point. Slightly better further east in Hampshire. Looks like we're right on the cusp of it here in the UK.

Occasional glimpses through the clouds here. The highlands surrounding the mares look much less bright in the far north than I recall seeing before. Need to compare against another view as it finishes. But it's not quite the astro event of the century either way :-)

Edit... hope it clears for you Bejay, although you're not missing too much. 

I too saw the moon just after it rose above the horizon and looked just like a normal full moon.  I also viewed it's image through a scope and it was round as round could be :D  I had the moon almost filling the frame on the screen.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

I too saw the moon just after it rose above the horizon and looked just like a normal full moon.  I also viewed it's image through a scope and it was round as round could be :D  I had the moon almost filling the frame on the screen.

Reminded me of this Gina :grin:

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZRPdhPS_4

I saw the Moon last night when I let my Dog have a last piddle in the garden before I put him to bed, ( 2130 hrs every night).
As familiar as the full  Moon is, to most of us, I was still mesmerised by the awesome beauty of that sunlit Orb that has been Earth's companion for 
approx. 4 billion years. Sometimes I feel I've been here that long too :eek:.
Such a splendid sight naked eye it is, and probably the best way to observe it in view of the intense glare it reflect back at us. Sure, a filter attenuates that, but it dilutes
the splendour of it also. Without a filter, the observing eye becomes inoperative for a while afterwards :smile:.
For all our Grumps and moans about our satellite, when thinking  in terms of Astro. Photography,  who among us would prefer not to have it?
Not many I venture to say. Earth itself would react to it not being there, and not in a good way either.

I decided to study the full Moon last night with my Apollo 15x70 binos together with ND filters. I used the Sky and Telescope's Moon Map and it was great to check out the various Lunar Maria and look at  craters that created fantastic 'Rays'

I should have mentioned I could not make out the penumbral eclipse shadow

You've got me wondering now Mark. I was using 36x in a 4" frac and thought the area surrounding Mare Frigoris looked dimmer than I recall seeing previously, especially compared with the bright highlands in the Southern Hemisphere. Couldn't see any indication at all of the eclipse with naked eye though. I need to compare what I saw next time I get the chance though, as I've not really observed the moon for the last few months. The full moon really did look great at low mag though, eclipse or otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Size9Hex said:

The full moon really did look great at low mag though, eclipse or otherwise.

I agree Paul. It was really good to study the Maria and I did enjoy following the Mountains - Jura, Alps, Caucasus, Apennine and Carpathian around the Mare Imbrium. I also studied certain craters - Plato, Copernicius, Kepler, Aristarchus, Grimaldi, Tycho and Langrenus.

Well I don't normally view the Moon around Full but last night was an absolute delight.

OK, I think I got a pretty good view with my 15x50 IS bins. On my balcony. On my Aegean island.

:happy11:

The Moon was low over the sea, and had a distinct hue, a bit orange I suppose. I concentrated on its shape, and very careful observation revealed that the outer edges seemed to be morphing ever so slightly, as if waves were rising and falling on the surface.

Not long after, all this had stopped and the color had returned to normal. Fun to watch.

Unless I'm just nuts, in which case I'll take it anyway.

:icon_biggrin:

Archived