SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Manchester, UK!

iamlucky18

Hello everybody. I hope everybody is doing well on this fine day.

I suffer from epilepsy (started about 3 years ago) and because I can't drive etc. I had to give up on a couple of my hobbies. My biggest hobby was archery but I didn't want to take the risk of accidentally shooting someone in the butt. I used to do astronomy with my dad a long long time ago and would to take it up again. However I have forgotten the basics but I read that this forum is the best source of advice, and that you guys are very friendly.

I've done some research and I'm thinking of getting either the Skywatcher 130 or Skywatcher 150 scopes with EQ driven mounts as I am also thinking of getting into astrophotography. A side of me is saying start small and make your way up as you become more experienced, the other is saying just treat yourself to the Skywatcher 150 with the GOTO. What do you guys think?  

Hello and welcome to SGL, I have the 200p on an EQ5 with motors, I am a visual observer and

don't find the need for go-to, but if you are going into AP you will probably need it, hope you

find the community helpful, I certainly did.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

2 hours ago, iamlucky18 said:

...A side of me is saying start small and make your way up as you become more experienced, the other is saying just treat yourself to the Skywatcher 150 with the GOTO. What do you guys think?  

Welcome, Lucky. Loads of friendly advice here.

As to your question - a lot depends on your worldview and life philosophy. If time is on your side, start slowly. But I  can't imagine much worse than getting on your death-bed and thinking, I wish I'd done that.

Can be a tough call, but you'll never know unless you do it...

All in all - young and slowly, older and spend, spend, spend...

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. As for choice of scopes, it is the mount that is often the deciding factor for AP. I only do visual, but I am sure a more experienced .photographer will be along soon. If not put a post in the starting out section and you are sure to get answers.

12 hours ago, ToxoLight said:

Hi and welcome to the lounge from a longbow archer, a great pity you had to give up the noble art but fingers crossed you may well get back on the shooting line.

Hi. I'm Hopton to get back into it once my fits/seizures are under control. Was a compound archer (Hoyt Rampage XT) but obviously started off as a recurve archer at school. Selling my archery stuff was one of the hardest things I had to do but hey ho. 

Start quite big if you can afford to - big 'scopes are no obstacle to getting "stuck in" and finding you way round.  I personally would strongly recommend GoTo - getting aligned is not difficult, then you're on target quickly (even if you can't immediately see it, you can be pretty confident it's there!).

Have fun!

Doug.

13 hours ago, iamlucky18 said:

Hi. I'm Hopton to get back into it once my fits/seizures are under control. Was a compound archer (Hoyt Rampage XT) but obviously started off as a recurve archer at school. Selling my archery stuff was one of the hardest things I had to do but hey ho. 

Hi. I started off on recurve too but 'progresses' to Longbow, I'm a fine weather archer now though, the enjoyment? of having rain run down the back of your neck has lost its appeal.

All the very best for the future and enjoy the stars.

Archived