Greetings from Norwich!

antony_courtney1987

Greetings all! recently developed an interest in Astronomy and looking for any advice to help me get started. I do not own a telescope yet but have been looking at the celestron SE series are these good scopes? I guess my budget is around 600 pounds but i could be swayed to go a little higher if it was a cracking deal! i have further goals for astro photography but at first just want to learn my way around the night sky and see the sights!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, antony_courtney1987 said:

Greetings all! recently developed an interest in Astronomy and looking for any advice to help me get started. I do not own a telescope yet but have been looking at the celestron SE series are these good scopes? 

Hi and welcome. Used to own one quite a few years back, and yes it was a great scope. Wish I hadn't sold it a few years back, but hey ho, these things happen! ;) 

6 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Hi and welcome. Used to own one quite a few years back, and yes it was a great scope. Wish I hadn't sold it a few years back, but hey ho, these things happen! ;) 

celestron and skywatcher keep being mentioned have been looking at them both i like the fact the SE series has the auto tracking stuff on them

2 minutes ago, antony_courtney1987 said:

celestron and skywatcher keep being mentioned have been looking at them both i like the fact the SE series has the auto tracking stuff on them

Yes, probably the more common manufacturer that you'll find a lot of people start with. The Goto and tracking capabilities should also be better also that when I owned one around 6 years ago,,so should be great for you. :) 

Welcome, Antony. I'm sure there will be plenty of good advice about scopes, kit, etc.

Enjoy the hobby and the forum.

Prolly best if you provide some more details about budget, size or any other constraints and where you'd like to go with the hobby, i.e. imaging or visual/a bit of both. The more info you give, likely the better the advice. Mind you, be prepared for a minefield of possibilities. ??

17 minutes ago, Floater said:

prolly best if you provide some more details about budget, size or any other constraints and where you'd like to go with the hobby, i.e. imaging or visual/a bit of both. The more info you give, likely the better the advice. Mind you, be prepared for a minefield of possibilities. ??

Thank you :) and yes good point. 

Welcome to SGL.

I've noticed your location. 

From 26th to the 3rd October it is the Equinox Star Party at Kelling Heath.  Saturday October 1st, there will be talks and trade stands.

You should be able to get plenty of advice on equipment and maybe, get the chance to look through a telescope during the evening.

See website- at http://las-skycamp.org/?tfd=y

Celestron 6" SE or 8". Will be a very good starter telescope. Giving you hours of enjoyment.

Seriously consider joining a local astronomy club.  You actually have 2 (maybe 3) very nearby which are excellect active clubs.  Norwich Astronomical Society http://www.norwichastro.org.uk has club nights every Friday (which happen even if weather is not up to much) - it has its club house and observatories near Seething (just south of Norwich).  Breckland Astronomical Society http://www.brecklandastro.org.uk is based in Great Ellingham a couple of miles west of Attleborough (short distance down A11 from Norwich).  Has club nights on Tues at its observatory/club house as well as talks some Fridays.

Both clubs are excellent and very active and are bound to have similar scopes available to those you are considering and would happily let you look through and discuss, etc.  Also an excellent way to learn from others, etc.  Membership is pretty cheap/

There is also a astronomical club north of Norwich but I don't know much about it (I have heard it does not have a permanent base/observatory but that is just what people have commented so may not be the case).

Ian

I agree with what Ian says above (I may be biased as I'm Chair of NAS!)

We've got a public night next Friday and Saturday and you'll be able to talk to members then if you come along. The important thing is not to open your wallet until you've actually done the 'look and feel' test to see whether the equipment is right for you. There are some great opinions here but optics are a very personal thing - actually looking through them if you get the chance is far more valuable than believing reviews, however valid they are!

AndyG

Hi and welcome to SGL! Glad that you found us as there's loads of helpful and knowledgeable folks on here. Regarding imaging, just find your feet first and then look into it slowly! It's a whole different ball game, requiring very different equipment in many cases.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Archived