Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22 August 2016 at 09:19, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I used my 80mm F/6 triplet (which handles wide field brilliantly, and is pretty good on planets) on a carbon photo tripod with a mini-giro mount at a star party in France this summer, and with a 2" Amici prism and wide field EP it is a killer portable scope. I use the same tripod for my portable solar scope, shown below.IMAG0720.jpg

What is a mini giro mount? Can you please post amazon links for the tripod and the mount you are taking about 

8 minutes ago, rizwanahmed24 said:

What is a mini giro mount? Can you please post amazon links for the tripod and the mount you are taking about 

The Tele-Optik Mini-Giro can be found here:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1541_Giro-GR-2-mini-alt-az-mount---up-to-4-kgs-load-per-side.html

I haven't got the tripod here, but will post the details later. Any good photo tripod should do

5 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The Tele-Optik Mini-Giro can be found here:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1541_Giro-GR-2-mini-alt-az-mount---up-to-4-kgs-load-per-side.html

I haven't got the tripod here, but will post the details later. Any good photo tripod should do

It's strange, the mini giro used to be rated at 4kg, and up to 9kg with a counterweight. It seems to have been de-specced, I wonder if it is mechanically the same or if it is for marketing purposes to make room for the Mini Ercole?

10 hours ago, rizwanahmed24 said:

The tripod I use is a Velbon GEO N543D. I bought it without the ball head that is often included. The tripod itself weighs in at about 1 kg (2.2lbs)

Archived