Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What equipment to buy from competition winnings?

MattGoo

I've won a photographic competition at work, and the prize is a Nikon D3300 DSLR camera or equivalent in photographic equipment. Checking internet prices gives a budget of about £300.

I do pretty much all aspects of astrophotography, including widefield, planetary, lunar/solar, DSOs and also use my DSLR in the daytime to take some wildlife and family pics.

I'm therefore looking for ideas on how best to spend that amount, based on the gear I currently own:

• Canon 1000D with lenses 18-55mm, 55-250mm, Samyang 8mm fisheye & various old Olympus.
  • Atik 314L+ Mono CCD
  • QHY5L-II Mono CCD
  • SX Filter Wheel & Baader filters
  • Philips SPC900NC

I've thought of the the following options so far, but would welcome any ideas or suggestions:

1. Get a Canon 1300D to replace my 1000D, then sell the 1000D? Benefit is that my existing lenses will fit on the new camera.
  2. Get a ZWO ASI120MM-S Mono USB3 to replace my QHY5L-II? Benefit is moving to USB3, since the sensors are the same in both.
  3. Get a new lens for my 1000D? Any suggestions?
  4. A decent tripod?
  5. Something else?

Cheers, Matt

Firstly, congrats on winning the competition.

Secondly, and only from a financial perspective, take the newer model camera if it's a fair bit better, sell the old one. If necessary, sell the old tripod as you admit to needing a decent one, and put the cash difference from camera and tripod sales towards that.

New camera, decent tripod - maybe some cash left.

Thanks for all the replies. The winning entry for the competition was our company name set out in Scrabble letters - since the total made the same as the theme of the competition.

I've also been looking at the QHY Polemaster for about £280, but having since found out it's just a glorified QHY5L-II with a 25mm cctv lens on then I've ordered the cctv lens off ebay for £10 and will look to adapt my existing QHY5L-II instead.

Options for the winnings are now either a Canon 1300d or getting whatever camera they provide & instantly selling it so I can spend the cash elsewhere :)

Archived