SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGLXII - Which scopes are you bringing?

DRT

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right!

The journey from Scotland to Hereford might cause a bit of dislodgement.

I'm not going into too much detail here but I've also signed a nondisclosure agreement which prohibits me from letting others examine it.
However I'm probably safe in assuming that I can't stop others from getting real close while I'm "field testing" :)I also can't yet reveal anything specific about the wavelengths but the design team have only just begun metamodeling and have a long way to go before they start mass producing superlight & flat optical lenses.

I hope that explains it, also don't get your hopes up too much as I've not gotten permission to take it off campus yet!!
I'll be lucky if they let me take one of their failed fabrication sample lenses.

On 23 September 2016 at 11:00, sennetor said:

Your right!

I'm not going into too much detail here but I've also signed a nondisclosure agreement which prohibits me from letting others examine it.
However I'm probably safe in assuming that I can't stop others from getting real close while I'm "field testing" :)I also can't yet reveal anything specific about the wavelengths but the design team have only just begun metamodeling and have a long way to go before they start mass producing superlight & flat optical lenses.

I hope that explains it, also don't get your hopes up too much as I've not gotten permission to take it off campus yet!!
I'll be lucky if they let me take one of their failed fabrication sample lenses.

The obvious bit with those lenses is the need for post processing if the wave lengths aren't focused otherwise there's a scatter effect that needs subduing. 

I thought about these with the old school plastic ones :D but to be honest it's a bit out of DIYer capability to produce :D

I'll have my hands full with my ODroid automated setup!

@sennetor - this sounds intriguing and I would love to see the scope. I had a look at the Pitch Allocation thread to see where on the site you will be but can't see your name on the map - have you registered to come along?

Derek

On 23 September 2016 at 11:00, sennetor said:

Your right!

Insurance too.. if it's a prototype, typically there's a need to ensure "oops" breakage and "argh" disappeared insurance.

I have my scope on personal possessions - so it's covered for things that the home insurance doesn't cope for. Like being in a field away from home..

18 minutes ago, jimboozle said:

I'll have a 200pds, a WO66sd and first light for a new (to me) 120ED ds-pro. 

On second thoughts, I should leave the new one at home, I don't want blaming for the clouds...

too late. We'll blame you anyways.

I'm now debating between the 130P-DS / ST80 guide set up, or the 80mm f/4.4 with just a DSLR. Thing is, I really don't want to be dismantling my imaging rig to take the camera and FW off, having only just got it singing.

So maybe just the 80mm which needs attention for tilt, so instead of imaging I may use the time for adjustment to be ready when winter nights come round.

Dunno....

nah I have too much other stuff to bring. I am selling / buying a 6" f11 (selling mine and buying one with higher grade optics), collecting a f7 102mm frac with case and I'll have my 120ED and case, 100mm PST mod plus all the caravan gubbins!

I am only likely to be there for one night too. By next year I should have had time to create a truss version of the 16" so will be better placed to bring it along I think - seems like a good first light target.

Look forward to the build thread, It's been a while since your last one mate. :) 

Won't be at SGL this time, so hopefully catch up with you and the truss version next year (unless of course you wish to come and join the crew for a camping trip? ) 

Have fun at the star party 

I have tentatively decided I am almost definitely bringing less kit than last year.

My current thoughts are:

• Orion Optics UK F4 VX12 Dob with Tele Vue 60 Finder (First outing to a star party / dark(ish) sky)
  • Altair Starwave 152 (for the Quark and wide field)
  • Skywatcher ED120 (for Baader wedge and because why would you leave one at home?)
  • AZ-EQ6 Mount

Depending on the weather forecast the following are on standby:

• Celestron C11
  • Skywatcher Evostar 150
  • Lunt 50Ha
  • Orion Optics UK VX8 F6 Dob
  • Orion Optics UK VX6 F8 Newt
  • Tele Vue Pronto

Even if I end up bringing everything, it will be significantly less than last year :rolleyes2:

Think I will use the 105 scope but also do what I did last time and use the old FD 300mm F4 camera lens. Simply put it gives a great wide field image the only issue is manual focus at the moment but I have a plan...

Having started collecting H-alpha data on M33 with the Meg 90 / AFR IV rig while there's been moonlight I think I'll take the whole lot off the DDM and bring that. Fortunately I've marked all the positions so it will go back as it came off.

If I do bring the 130P-DS it will be for sale.

Archived