NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meteor showers 09-08-2016

After all the lovely clear nights and days we have had recently I have managed to overdo my usual stargazing exploits :icon_flower: So with the Perseids on their way I decided to try a little premature meteor spotting. So I put on some warm gear and simply laid back in the garden recliner armed with a beer in my left hand and another in my right :icon_compress: 

It turned out to be a very enjoyable session and I spotted around 30 meteors in 2.5 hours ..... not a fantastic return but it does indicate that we may be in for a good show later on this week and I for one will be doing the same again on Friday. 

The only change I will make is not trying to drink my bear whilst in a reclined position as you have to finish the whole can in a single swig :hello: ..... could be worse I guess

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worth noting that Friday night will be too late for the predicted big surge in meteors, as this prediction graph shows. The peak should be around midnight on Thursday night, and it talis off rapidly by Friday evening. Predictions for the time of the peak vary, though!

meteor-Perseids-predicted-ZHR-2016-e1469

16 minutes ago, Gina said:

Forecast is good here too but so often the weather changes at the last minute - fingers crossed.

Very true Gina, I will take a gamble this time and pop over to the bird sanctuary with the wife and take along some strawberries and Prosecco for some early hours entertainment :happy6: Like you said "fingers crossed".

Nice report Shaun - you must be careful drinking that 'bear' though, it might bite back :icon_biggrin:

I hoping to give the Perseids a go. The early hours of Friday looks best after the moon sets. Clear outside showing clear for then - but there's a way to go yet

4 hours ago, lukebl said:

It's worth noting that Friday night will be too late for the predicted big surge in meteors, as this prediction graph shows. The peak should be around midnight on Thursday night, and it talis off rapidly by Friday evening. Predictions for the time of the peak vary, though!

meteor-Perseids-predicted-ZHR-2016-e1469

Thanks @lukebl. Where did you find this graph? Is it based on Universal Time?

Cheers, Stu

39 minutes ago, Paul M said:

So,  I'm sat in my caravan in Cumbria hoping that the grey murk will shift in the next 6 hours. 

Seeing as we have a full-on Atlantic Conveyor going on I'm not hopefull :(

Its not looking good at all here for tonight in Northants ....... :happy6: tomorrow is looking quite promising so fingers crossed.

Just seen three in the space of half an hour really bright one overhead a few minutes ago but a lot of cloud around, set up the camera but obviously pointing in the wrong direction as usual :grin:

Dave

I'm very jealous of everyone who is spotting even just one, let alone 25-40+ meteors.  I had planned on running a star party for the neighborhood tonight, set up my telescope, teach the kids how to find Polaris and give everyone views of the Moon, Saturn & maybe Mars though the scope.  But on Monday a heavy downpour swept in on us in the evening and then we checked the weather report with a 50-90% chance of rain every day for 2 weeks.  So we postponed the star party until 9/9, when we'll have a first quarter moon and Saturn & Mars will still be out.  Wouldn't you know it, no rain today after big rains every day so far.  But my fiancée and I just went outside to try to spot some meteors and there is cloud cover everywhere.  So we're still clouded out of a view even if it's dry.  Very disappointing.  I'm going to stay up and keep checking the sky every 30 minutes or so, hoping to catch a break in the clouds.  They are moving quickly, but it's a big blanket.  I wish you all better viewing than we have here.

Hi. I don't know about the rest of you guys but had a nice little session last night on meteor watch. About 90 minutes of clear dark sky's in my part of the world with plenty of meteor activity in the sky's, a nice and warm night also in shorts and t-shirts. I'm not sure how accurate the graph is that lukebl kindly posted, hopefully may be a bit of flexibility in the prediction to allow Friday night to have a reasonable meteor activity? As the  mark 1 eyeballs were well happy with the entertainment value of nature's own fire work display last night. It really does make this hobby come alive when mark 1 eyeballs get such a treat??? 

Archived