SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky Way from Kos

We had our family Holiday to Kos this year and I was able to capture the Milky Way just before the moon reared its light polluting head :) Kos is amazing as there is no light pollution, wish we had skies as dark as this in the UK.

Here is one of my favs that I took, you can see faintly a shooting star top right of the core.

Cheers :-)
kos holiday (53 of 53).jpg

• Like 32

Very nice image. Its a lot colder up here in Scotland, compared to Kos, but the skies are just as dark if your prepared to drive out of  town. On reading your text I found this link which lists Moray, and its local club, I'm not a member! http://www.scotoutdoors.com/features/top-5/top-5-places-to-enjoy-the-night-sky.

On their last  visit, I drove family members less than 5 mins out of town, they were amazed, taken back,  that so much Star light can create  body shadows  when you hold your arms out! 

Wow! just found this link to my back garden? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtIvfrSw1uU I have fished, camped  and admired the Stars on  so many occasions  passing through on my travels, but the biggest issue for me are the biting midges, and for them to invade  my scope and equipment?  This Loch is only 50 mins drive from my house, and of all the dark sites I can think of around my locality, this must be the best, I have others closer, but this is my all-time favored spot to test. I will do , hopefully  this season,  when conditions allow,  maybe  first with just a selection of binoculars, then camp out ( in the car)  with the scope,  gotta avoid those midges :angry7:

Edited by Charic
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, The Head Gardener said:

Gorgeous image!. I remember a holiday on Rhodes years and years ago with the most wonderful dark skies.

Jayne

Hmmm, when I was last in Rhodes I was 21 and very inebriated. Shame on me for not taking notice - we did moped to very remote areas of the Island, too!

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

hello !! Such a nice view! This summer am going to Kos. Could you please tell the location of this photo🥰?? I would love to have a chance to be under such a clear sky...

Thank you !!

On 10/08/2016 at 18:04, Beulah said:

Hmmm, when I was last in Rhodes I was 21 and very inebriated. Shame on me for not taking notice - we did moped to very remote areas of the Island, too!

That sounds familiar :)

The thing with Scotland and Wales is there is very dark skies, but often very cloudy skies. 

Those midges would deter the most avid astrophotographer too.

Edited by scotty1