NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

23 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Your Parka looks very stylish! We all got sent to school during Winter in the 1970's wearing this hideous outfit and bright orange on the inside!

Did your school have a music practice room?
It's not hideous, it's lovely. Would I lie to you?

(Sorry to anyone that 'gets it' .... 🚪)

Edited by globular
https://youtu.be/9DNS2zj7WyQ
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Franklin said:

Your Parka looks very stylish! We all got sent to school during Winter in the 1970's wearing this hideous outfit and bright orange on the inside!

Web capture_23-11-2023_12541_www.etsy.com.jpeg

Haha I'm glad you think so, it cost me enough 😂 I have had it quite a while now and it is still in great condition, though that's probably because it needs to be like -15 degrees before you can wear the thing!

IMG_20231123_191046704.thumb.jpg.ac114f3e241de2dab0b88160dafc45eb.jpg

It was the first outreach evening of the winter season for my club, at a local school.

The 4" achro doesn't get much use at home, but it's the one I usually take to outreach.  The weather didn't look promising while we were setting up, but at least the low cloud was scudding across rapidly enough that no-one needed to wait too long for a gap.  I'd planned to shoot for some wider targets that better suited the short scope, but with the prevailing cloud I ended up alternating between Jupiter and Saturn instead.  The achro did OK on these, with an ES 6.7mm giving a modest x90, and a Baader semi-apo filter taking out most of the violet.  After a while the low cloud cleared up a little, and everyone got to see a few sights that impressed them.  I finished off with Albireo for the stragglers, with the colour contrast rendered very pleasingly by the Bresser. 

Edited by Zermelo
Typo
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

IMG_20231123_191046704.thumb.jpg.ac114f3e241de2dab0b88160dafc45eb.jpg

It was the first outreach evening of the winter season for my club, at a local school.

The 4" achro doesn't get much use at home, but it's the one I usually take to outreach.  The weather didn't look promising while we were setting up, but at least the low cloud was scudding across rapidly enough that no-one needed to wait too long for a gap.  I'd planned to shoot for some wider targets that better suited the short scope, but with the prevailing cloud I ended up alternating between Jupiter and Saturn instead.  The achro did OK on these, with an ES 6.7mm giving a modest x90, and a Baader semi-apo filter taking out most of the violet.  After a while the low cloud cleared up a little, and everyone got to see a few sights that impressed them.  I finished off with Albireo for the stragglers, with the colour contrast rendered very pleasingly by the Bresser. 

Glad it went well Paul, sorry I couldn’t make it.

• Like 1

Braving the cold tonight with the 150 Maksutov waiting for Jupiter to reach a higher elevation and the GRS to be roughly centered. Seeing was poor all night with the stars twinkling away which just emphasises this. Went ahead anyway hoping for a steady patch but I wasn’t holding my breath. My fingers were numb and I was struggling to change to an IR pass filter. I’m surprised I lasted this long.

03323E6A-0749-49EB-8FB8-9E885A22EEA1.thumb.jpeg.9e96bcc4c8e8879ba678a468c8af1f30.jpeg

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

Never! Snow is life 😛

i forget what my Finnish colleagues call snow - not the snow itself per se but something about its affect on bouncing light around once it arrives in the darkest winter months. Do you have a similar saying/concept in Sweden?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, josefk said:

i forget what my Finnish colleagues call snow - not the snow itself per se but something about its affect on bouncing light around once it arrives in the darkest winter months. Do you have a similar saying/concept in Sweden?

Not being Swedish myself, I never heard of it... here they call snow when it snows, like normal humans 🤣

• Haha 2