NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from east London

MrWalt

Hi, new to all this. Always enjoyed checking out the stars on holiday but London just seemed to have too much of an orange glow to do any serious stargazing.

Now however, my son's new school has a couple of acres of fields out back that don't have any street lights around so I'm hoping to encourage the formation of a stargazing club in the new school year. We've also got a loft balcony that affords me orange views of the southern skies.

Ive also just found out that there's a Dark Sky Discovery Site (Orion Class) not far from me in east London.

As I don't know yet whether this is a passing phase or not I've limited purchases to a telescope from eBay (Celestron 130eq MD) - needs a clean and an evening or two to work out how to use it and a copy of the latest Sky at Night magazine. I have already managed to get a half-decent picture of the moon so that's encouraging (Taken via my only lens, the 10mm and my iPhone)

I've signed up here to get advice on how to use the kit I've got to its full potential and to see how I can incrementally supplement it on a modest budget. Also just to get general advice on naked eye astronomy that school kids will appreciate

image.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forum. Answering questions is a popular activity on this forum so don't hesitate to ask by posting a question under the relevant section. Hope your stargazers club gets off the ground proves popular - its a great to encourage youngsters!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi Mr Wait and welcome to SGL, in reading your intro I have picked up on your intention to clean. If it is not too late to mention this, it is advisable to keep your cleaning to the bodywork and moving parts of the telescope, the main mirror and any optics need very special attention, to undertake the cleaning of these items, if at all necessary, needs particular care and knowledge, which you will be able find from the forum. Inexpert handling of optics, may result in rendering the scope useless. 

Every success with forming your school Astro club, enjoy the forum :)

Archived