Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5mm eyepiece

Hi. I am looking to add a final EP into my EP range. I specifically want a 5mm EP to fill a gap for magnification ranges for both my ST-120 frac, and Celestron C6N reflector. I want the EP for planetary & Lunar observations mostly, and want to avoid standard plossls too. Awaiting come back about a second hand 5mm Vixen LV lanthanum EP if is is still available for sale. I already own a 15mm version which I acquired from  Astroboot  and am very happy with it.

However, if this Vixen LV EP is not available anymore my other few options I've looked at so far if I have to buy a new EP are as follows;

1) Vixen SLV

2) Celestron X-Cel LX

3) Skywatcher UWA Planetary

The SLV is the most costly, and the UWA the cheapest. I know there are other 5mm EP's out there, but don't want to go higher than the price of the SLV except if a good second hand 5mm EP comes up for sale maybe. Any feedback on anyone who owns, or had at some point one or more of the above EP's would be welcome. :) 

I have the SLV 5mm and it is very nice indeed. I have also looked through SW UWA Planetaries of similar focal lengths (4 and 6mm), but these were not as sharp as the SLV 5, which has only been relegated to the lightweight travel set since the arrival of a Pentax XW5. Optically, the SLV is a very, very close match to the XW5, except in FOV. I prefer the SLV to the old LV, because the stiff rubber eyecup of the LV annoyed me a lot. The twist-up SLV is much better.

56 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have the SLV 5mm and it is very nice indeed. I have also looked through SW UWA Planetaries of similar focal lengths (4 and 6mm), but these were not as sharp as the SLV 5, which has only been relegated to the lightweight travel set since the arrival of a Pentax XW5. Optically, the SLV is a very, very close match to the XW5, except in FOV. I prefer the SLV to the old LV, because the stiff rubber eyecup of the LV annoyed me a lot. The twist-up SLV is much better.

Thanks for the response Michael. I thought the SLV's would be much better optically than the UWA's with the SLV's been 3 times more expensive. I don't have a problem with the older eyecup on the older LV's, although the twist up one would be much nicer on the SLV's I guess. I think optically they are the same though aren't they? Either way even though it is the more expensive one of the three it would be my first choice if the older Vixen LV is no longer available. I've seen mixed reviews of the Celestron X-Cel LX, so kind of 50/50 on that one at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Thanks for the response Michael. I thought the SLV's would be much better optically than the UWA's with the SLV's been 3 times more expensive. I don't have a problem with the older eyecup on the older LV's, although the twist up one would be much nicer on the SLV's I guess. I think optically they are the same though aren't they? Either way even though it is the more expensive one of the three it would be my first choice if the older Vixen LV is no longer available. I've seen mixed reviews of the Celestron X-Cel LX, so kind of 50/50 on that one at the moment. 

The SLVs and older NLVs are upgrades from the LVs. There may well be differences in the coatings and glasses used, although the design is generally similar. My impression is that transmission is slightly higher in the SLVs compared to the LVs I used to have (7 and 9mm). Both LVs were cracking good EPs

14 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

If you're ok with the 50 degree field and higher cost I would go with the SLV but I would probably choose a Starguider over the X-Cel LX or UWA Planetary. 

Thanks. Never thought about them, but nice to add as an option. :) 

As you're unsure, it'll be better to try them and find out which suits your best. put a wanted ad here or on ABS. It'll save you decent amount of money if your eye is picky or your preferences change.

8 minutes ago, faulksy said:

as michael says, if your after a high power planetry ep theres only one and thats the pentax xw, its like a ortho with 70*AFOV and generous eye relief

The XW5 is great, but the SLV 5 is right up there if you do not need 70 deg. I do not doubt a monocentric or orthoscopic can deliver great images, but not to me with my glasses

22 minutes ago, faulksy said:

as michael says, if your after a high power planetry ep theres only one and thats the pentax xw, its like a ortho with 70*AFOV and generous eye relief

I'm sure the Pentax XW is a great EP, sadly it is well over budget for me. 

Either of your telescopes are not ideally suited for planetary use.  I think the best image you will get would be from a barlow lens, rather than a stand alone eyepiece.  You will be using more of the centre of the lens which should improve the view.  The best view from my ST80 is with a 9.5mm eyepiece and 2.25x barlow.

andrew

8 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

Either of your telescopes are not ideally suited for planetary use.  I think the best image you will get would be from a barlow lens, rather than a stand alone eyepiece.  You will be using more of the centre of the lens which should improve the view.  The best view from my ST80 is with a 9.5mm eyepiece and 2.25x barlow.

andrew

Hi Andrew. I have a 6mm & a 4.5mm EP already which when the seeing is steady produce good results on both scopes (I'm happy with them anyway), so I think a 5mm EP should be OK too. I have a 2x Barlow already with which I use with my other EP's. In some cases yes I do get a better view through my 2x Barlow with some other EP's, but there are times when the scopes do hold pretty well when using just a planetary higher magnification EP on their own. At a later stage I would love a more planetary suited scope to cope with the higher magnification though yes. :) 

I've been quite happy with my Pentax XL 5.2mm for nearly 20 years.  They can be had on the used market in the US for about $175.  I paid over $200 new in late 1990s dollars.  The view is sharp from edge to edge with no ghosting or scatter on bright objects.  The XW and Delos lines are just a hair better at stray light control and contrast, but not by much.  I find eye placement easier with the XL line than the XW line.  Having never looked through an ortho at 5mm due to their short eye relief and my massive astigmatism, I can't compare them.

SLV all the way. I bought the 5&6mm eyepieces intending to upgrade to the Delos range to match my 3 Delos in the mid range.

I rate the Delos as the best eyepiece bar none ....... But I haven't bothered with the upgrade yet.....

Paul

I have both a 5mm and 7mm X-Cel LX and think they are rather good in my 8" but then I've not used a starguider.

I find them comfortable to use and the 60° fov is a bonus.

The 5mm doesn't come out much on the planets, but is splendid when conditions are steady enough.

It's great on the moon though, crisp and clear.

13 minutes ago, bingevader said:

I have both a 5mm and 7mm X-Cel LX and think they are rather good in my 8" but then I've not used a starguider.

I find them comfortable to use and the 60° fov is a bonus.

The 5mm doesn't come out much on the planets, but is splendid when conditions are steady enough.

It's great on the moon though, crisp and clear.

Thanks for your feedback on the Celestron X-Cel LXs. Not many times that the sky conditions allow 5mm EP's to be used I know, but nice to have at hand when they do allow their usage. Got some great views of Saturn with my 6mm EP a few nights ago, and even held up well when I pushed it with my 2 x Barlow too to view it. 

Archived