Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars and Saturn 05/06 June

Last nights efforts dodging the conifer and tree branches, the seeing wasn't too bad. Neither image is going to win any awards, but considering their location I am pretty pleased with them. Both taken with my C9.25/ASI120mm set up. 180 seconds per channel for both, I haven't de-rotated them as I didn't think it was needed.

2016.06.05 Mars.png2016.06.06 Saturn.png

Nice work. Well done! :) I had a brief observation session last night and got some good views of Mars and Saturn too. I could make out surface details on Mars pretty well, I could see the ice cap very easily too. Saturn was the best I'd seen it for a while too. In fact I managed to get up to 375x with my 2x Barlow & 4mm Planetary EP fitted, highest magnification I've had on the planets for a while. 

14 minutes ago, des anderson said:

Nice images,lots of detail on both,considering that they are so low down.I have the same problem wait nearly all night, and then have an 1 hour gape to try and do everything. Des

Yup an hour is about what I have, isn't astronomy great from rural UK :icon_biggrin:  

25 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

Very good Pete.:thumbsup:What frame rate  did U get on Saturn. I was down to 10fps with a 2x  barlow. Mars was about 75fps.

That Saturn has come out very good.

Grim in the blue channel especially, around 10 as well :icon_biggrin:  very tough conditions for both these targets at the moment. Saturn appears to be slightly higher than Mars, but significantly dimmer though.

I think under seeing like that Pete if you had done 6 mins a channel RGB or even just red and blue, and done a synth green using winjupos your result would have been a lot better. As it stands its very good for the elevation. I can tell you had good seeing.  But your throwing information away by shooting  for less time than you could. Would love to have seen your result with Saturn using 6 mins a channel RGB I suspect it would have been better. How much would depend how stable the image was for that period shooting. But I understand we are not getting long, I also have a brief time on both mars and Saturn. A small gap.  Waiting for a ASI 290 MM here.  Hopefully will be sent quite soon.  I have no camera.

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

I think under seeing like that Pete if you had done 6 mins a channel RGB or even just red and blue, and done a synth green using winjupos your result would have been a lot better. As it stands its very good for the elevation. I can tell you had good seeing.  But your throwing information away by shooting  for less time than you could. Would love to have seen your result with Saturn using 6 mins a channel RGB I suspect it would have been better. How much would depend how stable the image was for that period shooting. But I understand we are not getting long, I also have a brief time on both mars and Saturn. A small gap.  Waiting for a ASI 290 MM here.  Hopefully will be sent quite soon.  I have no camera.

My bed was calling to be honest :icon_biggrin: Still a little while to go to opposition so I will give the synth green a go next time. I concentrated on Mars because of its shrinking size and its "available" a little earlier in the evening. 

1 hour ago, astroman001 said:

Very nice set of images. You made good use of the seeing conditions I think the 5th June was slightly better for me.

Colours look lovely. Did you use an ADC as well as the RGB filters?

Best regards

Peter

No I don't own one, but I am tempted to buy one. There is one on AB&S are they that good?

Archived