Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have been offered a 8 inch skywatcher telescope and EQ5 pro goto mount for £500, in good nick with a couple of extras leads and such. This is a upgrade from my Skywatcher 150p and EQ3-2 mount but just wanted to ask if this is a good price thanks in advance.

Compared to this brand new model of that set up:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5-goto.html

The one you've been offered is about 68% of the new price (assuming it's all the same). Used set ups tend to go for around 55% to 65% of new price under two yrs old and in very good working condition with no major blemishes or problems. So you're in the right sort of ball park.

You always have to figure in any extras (eg saddle, or eyepiece upgrades, coli tools etc), so it may be worth a few quid more. Or if it's bare bones you might be able to negotiate a few quid off. It's always worth asking if they'll take an offer - especially if you have to travel some distance to fetch it. Hth :)

He is selling the set up only used 3 times as cannot see pole star he has said got  15mtr usb cable and 15mtr cable to connect the mount and a camera to a computer and  5mm.10mm and 25mm eyepieces also a t2 mount for canon dslr also projector lense adaptor sounds good I`m only 9 miles from him.

If it has a polar scope then that is usually an extra on these mounts. T2 mounts are only about £15 new - maybe the 5mm ep is also extra - if it's a Radian then it's worth around £100 - if it's a SW plossl then it could only be worth a fiver. Cables ain't worth a lot. If it were me I'd ask if he'd take an offer of 65% (£470'ish) seeing as it's nearby. But you're within £30 of that so you're very close - and it is a nice upgrade on the 150. If the scope has a dual speed focuser then I'd just go for it. :)

This is the kind of connector you'll want to go with the ciggy plug that comes with these mounts. And yes you'll need a charger for the battery. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281353207181?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006867&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-131843266866&adtype=pla&crdt=0

These are the chargers I use:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Battery-Chargers-S1069-1.html

Hi. An upgrade is always nice especially if you can get a bit of a bargain buying used instead of new. I have brought used before and found it great, but as long as you don't jump in and get a bit carried away . What I would suggest is that the upgrade you are thinking about is what you really really want for the forseable future, as you do not wish to upgrade yet again shorty after again. So you are doing a bit of research and that is great. From my experience of buying used as the sort of people that are in the hobby usually look after their kit and usually tell you if something is wrong with the item it is usually a lot safer than buying other type of  used items(but obviously still look over the scope or items and ask questions). With regards to price you should pay then have a look at the new price and from my past of buying used gear I have paid anything from around 35% to 70% of the new price depending on the rarity of the item and condition of the item. So if your happy then go for it ,as going up in aperture is great and an 8" Skywatcher is a good scope from my knowledge.  With regards to the EQ5 goto as i use manual mounts have little knowledge of goto, but i do beleive it takes a bit more time to set up and go.  All the best with your purchase 

Well ive got it mirror looks dirty but going flock the tube anyway so will give it blast with some compressed air see what i can get off, just a quick one for you all would this power the mount as i dont go anywhere apart from back yard yet (ongoing Medical Problems) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2A-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-240V-Mains-Plug-to-12V-DC-Car-Charger-Power-Adapter-/281841694877?hash=item419f12f89d:g:wfYAAOSw5ZBWMTDT i have power out side so can i just plug this in then the bayonet into this.

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Well ive got it mirror looks dirty but going flock the tube anyway so will give it blast with some compressed air see what i can get off, just a quick one for you all would this power the mount as i dont go anywhere apart from back yard yet (ongoing Medical Problems) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2A-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-240V-Mains-Plug-to-12V-DC-Car-Charger-Power-Adapter-/281841694877?hash=item419f12f89d:g:wfYAAOSw5ZBWMTDT i have power out side so can i just plug this in then the bayonet into this.

Seems a bit strange that the mirror is dirty if it's only been used 3 times?

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

will give it blast with some compressed air

Be careful not to spray liquid propellant residue onto the mirror.  A blower brush is usually recommended instead.  Worst case, unmount the mirror and rinse it in a towel or foam lined bathtub with distilled water then tip it on its edge to let it dry.

17 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Anybody got an idea if that adapter will power the mount or do i need more amperage.

See what the required input wattage or amperage is for the mount.  Hopefully it will be listed somewhere (maybe on the back of the keypad dongle, on the mount itself, or perhaps in the manual which might be available online somewhere).  At 2A and 12V, that adapter will supply 2*12=24W.  From what I could find online, the motors could draw up to 2A each at maximum.  A 5A supply might be a better bet.

He wouldn't budge on price but I think it was a bargain anyway I'm really pleased with it I have already done the Lacerta upgrade to the focuser ordered new screws for the secondary got flocking material coming today with jubilee clips so i can spin the tube in its rings. Oh and the mount had the upgraded altitude bolts just a bit miffed weather has turned so cannot try it out.

Ahhh so the upgraded bolts is worth around £30 as an add on - so I reckon you did get a great deal.

Sounds like you're pimping it up well pucker (I have the Lcerta on my 8" too) - it'll be fabulous when you're done. :)

Hard to tell from a pic - looks like it might have an offset but hard to judge bye eye. Better to confirm with airy discs on a star test. How are you collimating it? Using a laser or anything else?

On 11/06/2016 at 01:30, brantuk said:

Hard to tell from a pic - looks like it might have an offset but hard to judge bye eye. Better to confirm with airy discs on a star test. How are you collimating it? Using a laser or anything else?

Cheshire sight tube done it again today with my son he said looks spot on now so just wait for a star test now. yes those pictures are a bit misleading as were took with my phone hovered over the eyepiece so not a straight shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Star test showed concentric airy disc only had time look at a couple of things M81 wasn't impressed with this my fault had wrong eyepiece in, next M13 and wow what a glorious view last was M57 and this blew me away nice ring with a hint of colour cannot wait get this out again. 

Archived