Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New SW AZ5

mikeDnight

On 13/08/2017 at 12:51, Joe G said:

Hi

Ive ben very intereted in this topic. The video shows the mount IMO to be quite capable & highlights the previous points about the slow motion knob positions. I'm wondering if knobs work better for a reflector than a refractor. I'd appreciate John's opinion as he has had a chance to try the reflector out. Thanks in advance

I'm afraid that I just moved the mount around for a few minutes at an astro show. Not really a proper test in the way that Mike and Paul have. From my brief encounter (very brief) I'd say that the mount head looks suitable for a 130mm F/5 newtonian but the stock tripod is a bit too lightweight. On another tripod the mount would fare quite well with such a scope I think.

Here's an update regarding the squealing AZ5.

I received a not very helpful reply today from the supplier, stating that the locking screws should be released when moving the mount, which is rubbish as the user manual stated to use them as clutches.

Anyhow, I had to make a decision as to whether or not to return the mount, or to dismantle it to see what was wrong. I chose the latter!

I unscrewed the three screws on the dovetail clamp and on the base which allowed the base and clamp to be slid off revealing the shafts and gears. There is a Teflon or plastic block that presses against the shaft, which on my mount both shafts and blocks were dry. Using some of the excess grease from around the gears I greased the shafts and blocks, and reassembled the mount. The job took ten minutes and the squealing is gone!!! ???

20170821_145353.jpg

20170821_145413.jpg

2017-08-21 14.59.37.jpg

20170821_145046.jpg

20170821_145113.jpg

• Like 7

Thats more positive Mike :thumbright:

Pity the supplier was not better informed though.

At least you managed to capture the squealing for posterity. BBC might need it if they have a new production of Animal Farm !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, John said:

Thats more positive Mike :thumbright:

Pity the supplier was not better informed though.

At least you managed to capture the squealing for posterity. BBC might need it if they have a new production of Animal Farm !

Hi john,

The actual vendor was quite apologetic, it was the importer who seemed disinterested. Still, considering the cost of the mount head, it was definitely worth having a go, even if it had meant making some adjustments or alterations. I couldn't source the raw materials for the same price let alone build such a mount, so it was worth checking out how it worked. If it ever happens again its easily sorted! :happy11: ?

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Mike a really excellent job and so well documented for future reference for anyone. I must admit I had second thoughts about this mount but you may have changed my mind. Skywatcher should give you a credit note because you may have saved their 'bacon' on this mount.

Here, here. Fully agree, however the inaction of the importer does not fill me with any confidence in them.

• Like 1

AZ5 ordered last night! :biggrin:

Decided to go for the complete package with the head, pillar and tripod. Figured I could always re-purpose the tripod for binoculars if it's stability is an issue for me. 

Going to be using it with an ST102 and Mak127 - I will report back with findings once it arrives and I have a wee shot :thumbsup:

AZ5 arrived today, and my new mak 127 arrived a few days ago as well.... it's like Christmas! 

First impression, the actual head feels really nice. It's really smooth and handles the mak127 and the ST102 really well. For comparison I put them both on my AZ3, and on that you could really feel the altitude slow motion becoming tight as the angle increased. The AZ5 had no issues at all, was smooth and relaxed all the way to the zenith. The azimuth has a tiny bit of play in it - when I change direction there is a period where turning doesn't do anything and then you feel it connect. Have tried adjusting the little grub screw but that didn't seem to make a difference to the amount of play. After playing with it for a while, it's hardly noticeable anymore. 

As for the tripod and extension pillar.... not convinced. The tripod isn't very sturdy at all - at around 166x the image was VERY wobbly with just a tiny amount of wind. Just could not get it to settle down. Moved the mak onto the AZ4..... rock solid, no wobbles. Everything on the head feels tight, so I'm assuming this is all down the the tripod and potentially the extension. Also, I almost lost my telescope twice because I wasn't undoing the azimuth clutch pin/screw and the head actually started to unscrew from the extension! You've really got to make sure that the top part of the extension is screwed into the head tightly, or remember to loosen the clutch screw.

Unfortunately I can't attach the AZ5 head to my AZ4 tripod at the moment as I never bought the adaptor plate. In hindsight I probably would have been better spending the extra £60 on the adaptor instead of the tripod and extension. 

20170825_190226.thumb.jpg.3f2bcf8d5cd70ee5aa9e822b807dae6a.jpg20170825_190251.thumb.jpg.ef6c92ea9824476c8f61a224a8785ead.jpg 

• Like 3

Nice report :smiley:

I had a play with an AZ5 at an astro show recently. The mount head seemed nice but the tripod...... :rolleyes2:

Seems a shame to have to lash out £60 to use the head on a standard EQ5 / HEQ5 / CG5 tripod to gain stability. There must be a lower cost way to adapt it / the tripod hub :icon_scratch:

Presumably, if the "north peg" was not on the top of the tripod hub, the only remaining obstacle is that the AZ5 uses a 3/8ths inch thread rather than the M10 that the EQ5 / HEQ5 etc use ?

Edited by John

9 minutes ago, John said:

Nice report :smiley:

I had a play with an AZ5 at an astro show recently. The mount head seemed nice but the tripod...... :rolleyes2:

Seems a shame to have to lash out £60 to use the head on a standard EQ5 / HEQ5 / CG5 tripod to gain stability. There must be a lower cost way to adapt it / the tripod hub :icon_scratch:

I'm quite disappointed in the tripod to be honest, feel it lets the AZ5 down a bit. Suppose it's just to keep costs down, but I'd advise anyone else to just buy the head and fit it to a different tripod. 

I could cut the alignment peg off my AZ4 and then just use a 3/8 bolt like Mike did. But I'm reluctant to chop the peg off my tripod in case I want to sell it in the future. I did look into buying some aluminium round billet from eBay....

Also thought about tapping the hole in the pillar to an M10. But I don't know how well 3/8 unc taps to M10. Maybe someone more mechanically mindedcan advise. I have the tools to do it.... just don't want to destroy my new extension pillar.

Edited by davyludo
  • Like 1

Assuming you can get around the north peg issue could you get someone to machine for you a new central rod with M10 at the bottom and 3/8 at the top, with the waisted bit in the middle - gauge length off the current one . You'd then just need to screw it in from the top of the tripod, add your handwheels and maybe a couple of 'stop nuts) and you're in business.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Assuming you can get around the north peg issue could you get someone to machine for you a new central rod with M10 at the bottom and 3/8 at the top, with the waisted bit in the middle - gauge length off the current one . You'd then just need to screw it in from the top of the tripod, add your handwheels and maybe a couple of 'stop nuts) and you're in business.

You should see all the weird an wonderful ways I've tried to solve the problem :thumbright: been looking at pillar drills on eBay and everything. I bet I could turn this into the most expensive adaptor on the planet!

Like the rod idea.... hadn't thought about that.

Edited by davyludo

1 hour ago, davyludo said:

I'm quite disappointed in the tripod to be honest, feel it lets the AZ5 down a bit. Suppose it's just to keep costs down, but I'd advise anyone else to just buy the head and fit it to a different tripod. 

There is another tripod available for the new AZ5 mount, it isn't currently imported but we could request it. It is the same as the EQ5/HEQ5 tripod but with a different top casting (no AZ pin) and a 3/8" centre bolt instead of metric. The pricing would the same as the EQ5/HEQ5 tripod, so about £105/£110. There isn't an extension tube available for it though. 

Would there be much of a demand? 

Steve 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the answer to that will be a resounding yes Steve. I'm considering the AZ5 or AZ GTi for grab & go but would have to adapt either to fit my CG5 tripod which is overkill, requires the Berlebach adapter and requires chopping and changing scopes/mounts about.

I'd be well up for an AZ GTi on the tripod you speak of as a package deal.

4 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

I'd be well up for an AZ GTi on the tripod you speak of as a package deal.

That might be more difficult to achieve but I will request it. Will probably know sometime next week. 

Am off to bed now :smile: 

18 minutes ago, FLO said:

There is another tripod available for the new AZ5 mount, it isn't currently imported but we could request it. It is the same as the EQ5/HEQ5 tripod but with a different top casting (no AZ pin) and a 3/8" centre bolt instead of metric. The pricing would the same as the EQ5/HEQ5 tripod, so about £105/£110. There isn't an extension tube available for it though. 

Would there be much of a demand? 

Steve 

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for the info. Personally I'm just going to modify my AZ4 tripod. However I imagine there would be quite a few people that may be more interested in the heavy duty tripod. 

Looking at the instruction manual that came with the AZ5, it looks like the heavy duty one is very like the AZ4 steel version. But, like you say, with a 3/8 fixing and no north peg. 

Thanks again,

Davy 

Problem solved, Mike I copied you and just cut the peg off.

Everything feels rock solid now. Will report back with an update once I've had the chance to try it. Unfortunately is pouring down outside and isn't meant to clear up much this weekend. 

Sorry everyone, it's my fault for getting new toys.

20170826_003955.jpg

• Like 6

Much, much better :biggrin:

Can now observe at 150 - 200x without annoying vibrations. 

Just waiting on a longer 3/8 bolt arriving, as the one I have is a bit short and only holding head on with 1 or 2 turns of the thread. 

Going to try the 1.75" steel tripod with AZ5 and extension...from holding it together, seems like a nice position for standing observing.

20170826_120713.thumb.jpg.71a079f50429366dd81100b0844bda69.jpg

• Like 2