SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Es Reid checked telescopes

On 5/20/2016 at 23:01, Retro Gear said:

If you mean the Esprit 150mm F7 triplet I would be very interested & grateful for any information you can give. I've looked at the full review by Nik Szymanek which is a few years old now - a more recent account by a current user would be really helpful :icon_biggrin:.

Will

Off topic, but I'm sure  @Tim has the Esprit 150mm if you want to talk to him :wink:

• Like 1

I have just come across this thread. It is a very nice addition in that it will give confidence in the product. BUT can I make a suggestion, the sticker is OK but not the best idea in some ways.

There will possibly come a time when some less reputable person tries to sell on or sell a new so called Es Reid checked and calibrated scope to cash in and deceive a buyer. I suggest that a simple sticker is not sufficient. You can just as easily punch a serial number on the casing ( as do Takahashi)  and furnish a certificate signed by yourselves and Es Reid. A record can be kept and checked for authenticity. It also would act as a theft deterrent and help in any case involving the police. I would happily pay extra for that. There is also a method of using smart water. It cannot be removed or seen as it is a DNA signature.

Just an idea!

Derek

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Jonk said:

@FLO I just wondered if you were any closer to a WO Star-71 II availability date and whether you have managed to secure a competetive price?

Not that I'm impatient or anything!

James has chased them for an update but, based on what we last heard, we will have a price and ETA in a week or two. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 1 month later...
On 18 May 2016 at 22:30, FLO said:

We have considered including the Skywatcher Esprit series. Certainly if someone requested an Esprit be sent to Es prior to delivery we can do that.

A number of people have requested this service be made available for Skywatcher Esprit telescopes.

Esprit triplet optics are rarely faulty (quite the opposite, in fact) but we understand someone wanting the peace-of-mind that comes with having Es Reid check a telescope prior to dispatch, and we are here to serve :smile:

With WO triplets we 'only' offer Es Reid checked telescopes but for the Esprits we have made it an option. To select the service simply tick the 'Pre-Dispatch Optical Bench Test' box before adding the telescope to your shopping cart. 

HTH, 

Steve 

skywatcher_esprit_100_ED_triplet_2.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Hi Steve, any news on the WO Star 71-II?

We have ordered a quantity of the new 4-element Star 71 but we have not yet been given an ETA. (Apparently there is also a triplet model scheduled for launch next month). 

Thank-You for your patience, 

Steve 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wish these hadn't landed ........ I've jumped one way (increase in focal length) but have been tempted to jump the other way (shorter focal length) for some time but there was nothing out there apart from the FSQ 85 that hit the spot and I'd already burnt my fingers with one of those!

Darn it, it matches the FLT 98 as well .......... :unsure:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I wish these hadn't landed ........ I've jumped one way (increase in focal length) but have been tempted to jump the other way (shorter focal length) for some time but there was nothing out there apart from the FSQ 85 that hit the spot and I'd already burnt my fingers with one of those!

Darn it, it matches the FLT 98 as well .......... :unsure:

Nah mate, go for those filters you want :D

On 21/11/2016 at 20:52, Jonk said:

Was there ever a decision on a test stamp, or certificate? 

No, but the arrangement between Es and ourselves is working well so we will probably obtain a small sticker that he can apply to telescopes he has tested, or something along those lines. It will happen. 

On 21/11/2016 at 20:52, Jonk said:

Also, what does the testing involve, just a laser through the centre? I'm curious to know how the testing identifies misaligned lenses.

It involves pixie dust. Lots and lost of pixie dust :biggrin:

The testing is done on a 12 inch aperture collimator with a reflecting ball source at the focus of an F9 parabolic mirror. A telescope under test is pointed at the collimated beam and a short, 4 or 5mm, eyepiece used to assess image symmetry, longitudinal correction, residual colour, coma and astigmatism. He also checks with a 25 lines/mm Ronchi grating and sometimes a knife edge Foucault test. The scopes are rotated to check for consistent images around the edge of the field of view and adjustments made, where possible, to reduce variations.

Not all aberrations can be adjusted out. Sometimes it is not possible to achieve a decent image due to, say, colour errors where the individual lens element powers are not balanced correctly. If the surfaces are not figured spherical, as most optical designs would require, there can be over or under-correction and this can rarely be adjusted out. In situations like this the telescope is rejected. 

No telescope is perfect, regardless of price or brand, and optical tests are subjective. But over time, and enough samples, we will gain an increasingly clear understanding of what is/isn't acceptable and ensure the ones sold by us (and tested by Es) perform well. That is the purpose of this exercise :smile: 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

As you say, all have their faults and when tested some will perform better than others. So who do you pay the bribe to in order to ensure you get the pick of the bunch?  :evil4:

ChrisH

That would be Es. Just you would need to know how he has indicated which after working on them he found to be at the one at the sweet point best of all those that came in. Mind you I expect Es's bribary price is high. :D:D:D

What I guess would be interesting would be to know what the tolerances for the tests are, ie: how much varience from "ideal" is OK ?

Ultimately it would also be interesting to know the rejection rate for the various models and brands but I guess others have 1st dibs on that information !

It's a good initiative though and I appleaud FLO for introducing it :icon_salut:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Great idea and will be doing it when next purchasing a scope from FLO, probably an Esprit 120. Is the scope available for collection after the check? I wouldn't really want my checked scope put at the mercy of the postal system and forever wondering if it was dropped from a great height in transportation. I always collect scopes where I can. 

14 hours ago, primordial atom said:

Great idea and will be doing it when next purchasing a scope from FLO, probably an Esprit 120. Is the scope available for collection after the check? I wouldn't really want my checked scope put at the mercy of the postal system and forever wondering if it was dropped from a great height in transportation. I always collect scopes where I can. 

Please email us when you are ready, we will then ask Es. (Es' workshop is at his home). 

Esprit telescopes are supplied in an aluminium case and are well packed, I don't think you need be concerned. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 3 months later...

Hello @FLO. Would it be possible to offer the ESR check on doublets too, as a paid option?

The test on Esprit triplets is cool for those who want, but doublets are not that cheap, especially quality ones, & it would be reassuring to have, say an ED Pro Eclipse doublet OK'd too!

We could arrange this for you but please email us first (questions@firstlightoptics.com) so we can organise it and work out pricing.

I would be hesitant to recommend it though as we very rarely see optical issues with doublets - by their nature they are much simpler to construct so suffer far fewer alignment problems. Any such issues would be covered under warranty.