Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Es Reid checked telescopes

This situation is almost exactly analogous to that for Chinese-made machine tools. At first sight identical machines from the same factory, but each importer's version made to s different spec that can be slightly or wildly different in the detail, and differences in QC as well, not to mention the differences in spares stock and after sales support between good retailers and those who 'operate out of a container at the docks'.

OMG, Love this idea.

When I can afford to dip my toes into the triplet market I will not have the experience to know whether I have bought a dud or not until I have lived with it probably too long to return it so the idea of the reassurance of an expert's examination/adjustment is very attractive!

So I have bought everything except the scope for AS. Swithering on that. But, to be honest, having read so many reviews (scare stories) and not having super deep financial pockets, this would swing it for me. When spending circa £1k I don't see £75 on top as a big deal. More like "insurance that actually paid out". So, come Autumn I'll be looking for a GT102 :) 

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

I think this is an excellent idea and I applaud FLO for coming up with it. Would I pay extra for peace of mind that the scope had been checked by Es and was given an OK rating? You bet I would. What a great USP :)

@FLO Is this something you would consider doing for any scope that you sell if the buyer is willing to pay for the cost to ensure peace of mind? 

We have considered including the Skywatcher Esprit series. Certainly if someone requested an Esprit be sent to Es prior to delivery we can do that. We are also about to announce we are stocking Explore Scientific refractors, the low numbers of issues reported here at SGL suggest they won't need Es' intervention but if we find otherwise they can be included. So long as he can handle the numbers we can increase the range. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 5

Again FLO leading the way!

As far as I can tell my Star 71 is fine but I haven't pushed the imaging circle to far. The scope is such a great performer (and it was very cheap if you managed to bag a good one) that paying a little bit more to get a guaranteed perfect one would definitely be a sound investment.

For people that purchased a scope already FLO; if an issue should arise that needs correction is this a service that we could pay for perhaps or would we be better going direct to someone like Es?

31 minutes ago, Robp said:

For people that purchased a scope already FLO; if an issue should arise that needs correction is this a service that we could pay for perhaps or would we be better going direct to someone like Es?

If a FLO customer approaches us with a telescope that needs attention, and the telescope is purchased from FLO, we will happily send it to Es. If the fault occurs within warranty we will cover the cost, if not we might charge. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

This is a grand idea. If and when I were to be in the market for a refractor I would definitely be interested in this service. As a relative newcomer to this hobby on a relatively limited budget for gear I want the best value for money but as a long time daytime photographer I appreciate the value of precision optics and would happily save that little while longer to pay for this service which is quite frankly priceless. Even with >£1000 equipment I think I'd pay it because as I've learnt with other hobbies a high price doesn't necessarily guarantee quality every time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FLO said:

There are a lot of people waiting on the new Star-71 so we will start a thread here at SGL as soon as we have news. 

WO say we will receive our first delivery of new Star-71 telescopes around the end of June, so 5-6 weeks. It is difficult to say for sure what it will cost without an actual landed price but we are guessing (based on today's exchange-rate) it's retail price will be around £1,075-1,125 with Es Reid's testing/adjustment. 

We will start another thread detailing the WO Star-71 soon. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FLO said:

If a FLO customer approaches us with a telescope that needs attention, and the telescope is purchased from FLO, we will happily send it to Es. If the fault occurs within warranty we will cover the cost, if not we might charge. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Excellent service and the extra piece of mind is very assuring. I would happily pay for a quality repair.

Another innovative idea from FLO put into action :icon_biggrin:

What will be interesting, but possibly a bit sensitive, will be the extent of the issues that ES Reid finds and corrects and how they pan out on a brand by brand, model by model basis.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 14:06, FLO said:

That is a good point. Hadn't thought of that. It will certainly enhance the telescope's resale value. Our receipt will identify the telescope as one that has been checked by Es Reid but we probably ought to consider a sticker, or something like that. 

Thank-you for the suggestion :smile: 

Steve 

A sticker placed right in the middle of the objective :drunken_smilie:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Another innovative idea from FLO put into action :icon_biggrin:

What will be interesting, but possibly a bit sensitive, will be the extent of the issues that ES Reid finds and corrects and how they pan out on a brand by brand, model by model basis.

And if FLO publish a league table will manufacturers then invest as necessary in skills, materials, processes, time etc to rectify any QC issues that become apparent. Especially given that FLO will hopefully show it can be done for the cost of a mere £75 per unit.

Probably not practical I know, but a nice idea.

GO...FLO, what a great idea, having been one of the customers that had to return the star 71

having this great idea put into practice will give people peace of mind,

Yes it is extra money, but worth every penny,

Having really liked the WO star 71, for its overall functionality, I have purchased another

that has been checked out by Es Reid, and should be delivered today :):) 

Thanks FLO,

After being rather disappointed about hearing the star 71 was discontinued I started looking into the gt81. 

Thankfully I managed to purchase one of the recent returns of the star 71 and knowing that the optics have been fully checked and corrected I already have piece of mind that I'm not going to struggle with weird shapes stars.

Have to wait until I'm back off holiday before I can receive and test it out and I can't wait.

Hi Steve, Just a thought, Does this now mean FLO will continue to sell the star 71

Now that the optics can be sorted, or have WO stopped production due

to the amount of returns, as I should not mind another in 3-4 months for a dual rig

Paul

forget that :) I must learn to read.:)

Edited by ultranova
added text

1 hour ago, ultranova said:

Hi Steve, Just a thought, Does this now mean FLO will continue to sell the star 71

Now that the optics can be sorted, or have WO stopped production due

to the amount of returns, as I should not mind another in 3-4 months for a dual rig

Paul

forget that :) I must learn to read.:)

William optics themselves have discontinued the star 71.

That's why I'm very thankful to FLO for reducing/ fixing and selling the ones they had returned as I was able to get one 

12 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

William optics themselves have discontinued the star 71.

That's why I'm very thankful to FLO for reducing/ fixing and selling the ones they had returned as I was able to get one 

Looking at  a earlier post, it says they are waiting for a delivery of the new star 71's sometime in late June

if they are going to be the same FL and  speed I don't know

1 hour ago, ultranova said:

Looking at  a earlier post, it says they are waiting for a delivery of the new star 71's sometime in late June

if they are going to be the same FL and  speed I don't know

These are the specs that are advertised on highscientific website that have them in stock.

William Optics WO-Star 71 Specifications

Aperture: 71 mm

Focal Ratio: f/4.9

Focal Length: 350.2 mm

Objective Type: 4 elements in 3 groups - patented 2-1-1 Configuration

Lens ShadeRetractable

Focuser: 2.5” Dual Speed Rack & Pinion

Focuser Drawtube travel: 1.38" / 35mm

Image Circle: 45 mm

Type of Mount: Mounting rings with Vixen style dovetail

OTA Tube Weight: 4.5 lb / 2.05 kg

Tube Weight with Rings & Dovetail: 5.3 lb / 2.4 kg

First class idea Steve / FLO – if this could apply to the Esprit 150 (looks like the one I'm probably going for) then I would be happy to pay for the reassurance that the instrument I'm getting is in good shape out of the box. I guess there is always a chance that it could be hammered by the carrier in transit between Es Reid and final destination but that would apply to everything we buy – the risk of getting a bad scope from the manufacturer is the real worry. Sounds like a winner – I'm in :).

Will

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Happy to review one of these for you ;-)

If you mean the Esprit 150mm F7 triplet I would be very interested & grateful for any information you can give. I've looked at the full review by Nik Szymanek which is a few years old now - a more recent account by a current user would be really helpful :icon_biggrin:.

Will

I must have missed this thread, but I'm glad I've found it now!

Short of saving up for a Tak Baby Q, the Star 71-II is next on my list, and I shall certainly be ordering one with the 'insurance' from FLO. Well done FLO.

One thing niggles me though, the WO blurb says the MK II is easier to collimate during assembly - does that potentially mean easier for collimation to slip??

11 minutes ago, Jonk said:

One thing niggles me though, the WO blurb says the MK II is easier to collimate during assembly - does that potentially mean easier for collimation to slip??

We won't know until they arrive but we (FLO & Es) will be responsible for the ones purchased from FLO. If they slip, we'll put them back :smile: 

• Like 1

Superb, like you said above, tests in low temperatures will hopefully show up some issues (actually not, but you get what I mean).

In my industry, the customer unfortunately is the QA department, and to some degree the R&D department.

"Release early, release often".