Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone in the market for a Takahashi FC100DL? 

True Technology has two comming in this week. One is already spoken for but the other is up for grabs. Only 100 made I believe,  so if you're looking for a truly outstanding F9 apo refractor with 1/20 wave optics then now's your chance. :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some months ago when I was looking for an FSQ 85 I e-mailed TruTek using the e-mail on their website.  I never got a reply.  Pretty sure I tried telephoning a couple of times too.  Of course, if you knew me, you would certainly not want to have any communication with me either.

I might be interested although I'm more drawn to slightly more aperture as I already have a pretty good 102mm ed.

Perhaps I'll get in touch with Tru Tek and see what they are like to deal with ?

Thanks for the "heads up" Mike.

The one that is spoken for is mine. ?

Nick at Trutek has been very responsive and helpful with me. I've had a couple of emails from him just today.

Looking forward to receiving it very soon. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Sounds tempting Mike, how much are they?

I think the current list price is £2,159.00 with clamshell. I really toyed with the idea of selling my DC to fund the DL, but after having compared the F7.4 Tak with a F9 Vixen fluorite, the F7.4 was every bit as good as the F9, and even had a vibrancy that the Vixen lacked. Colour correction was every bit as good visually and the F7.4 gives a wider field for sweeping star fields. Also, I've regularly used my FC with a extender Q which gave me F11.8. Though I could get higher powers (474×), the image quality was the same at F7.4 as it was at F11.8. All things considered, I decided to keep hold of my FC. It never fails to impress me with its planetary performance and even brighter dso's are outstanding. 

If the F9 had been available when I bought my scope I would have gone for that instead, but I really can't complain about my slightly dumpier refractor. An extra 160mm FL is not going to make a noticeable  difference in any way other than magnification per given eyepiece. However, if i had the spare cash though, I'd buy one. ☺

Mike

2 hours ago, John said:

I might be interested although I'm more drawn to slightly more aperture as I already have a pretty good 102mm ed.

Perhaps I'll get in touch with Tru Tek and see what they are like to deal with ?

Hi John,

I've always found Nick Hudson at True Technology  to be a thoroughly descent  chap to deal with. He is in my mind The Premier Tak agent in the UK today, although others claim to be so. He is the only one I'd trust to work on my Tak as he's had 25 years experience dealing with fluorite refractors, colimating them and tuning their mechanics. He's as honest as the day is long, which is refreshing in this dog eat dog world.

Your lovely Vixen ED is a great scope and although I believe  the Tak fluorite would have the edge, I doubt it would have enough of an edge to warrant a £2000 outlay. The Vixen ED is a classic collectible  after all. ?

Mike

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi John,

I've always found Nick Hudson at True Technology  to be a thoroughly descent  chap to deal with. He is in my mind The Premier Tak agent in the UK today, although others claim to be so. He is the only one I'd trust to work on my Tak as he's had 25 years experience dealing with fluorite refractors, colimating them and tuning their mechanics. He's as honest as the day is long, which is refreshing in this dog eat dog world.

Your lovely Vixen ED is a great scope and although I believe  the Tak fluorite would have the edge, I doubt it would have enough of an edge to warrant a £2000 outlay. The Vixen ED is a classic collectible  after all. ?

Mike

I would agree with this. Although I didn't buy my Tak from True Technology I have dealt with Nick for a couple of other matters and he knows his stuff and is very pleasant to deal with

I concur with that sentiment as well. Only purchased a few odd bits and pieces from them but always helpful. Have to say I would love to get my hands on the DL but I cannot justify an eighth scope. 

58 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I concur with that sentiment as well. Only purchased a few odd bits and pieces from them but always helpful. Have to say I would love to get my hands on the DL but I cannot justify an eighth scope. 

It looks like you've got a mild frac fetish going on there Matthew. It's most likely  terminal so why fight it?!

Mike

9 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I think the current list price is £2,159.00 with clamshell. I really toyed with the idea of selling my DC to fund the DL, but after having compared the F7.4 Tak with a F9 Vixen fluorite, the F7.4 was every bit as good as the F9, and even had a vibrancy that the Vixen lacked. Colour correction was every bit as good visually and the F7.4 gives a wider field for sweeping star fields. Also, I've regularly used my FC with a extender Q which gave me F11.8. Though I could get higher powers (474×), the image quality was the same at F7.4 as it was at F11.8. All things considered, I decided to keep hold of my FC. It never fails to impress me with its planetary performance and even brighter dso's are outstanding. 

If the F9 had been available when I bought my scope I would have gone for that instead, but I really can't complain about my slightly dumpier refractor. An extra 160mm FL is not going to make a noticeable  difference in any way other than magnification per given eyepiece. However, if i had the spare cash though, I'd buy one. ☺

Mike

I thought I had a bit of a temperature but now realise, after reading some of the the threads here,I have Takahashi fever!

If you do decide to sell your DC, drop me a PM. ;-) I only need one kidney after all. :icon_albino:

11 hours ago, John said:

Similar points to make as Mike, Nick at Trutek has always been a pleasure to deal with and very knowledgeable, been involved with Takahashi officially for 18+ years. I also agree with the ED statement, you probably have 90-95% percent the performance for a much more reasonable price. Like any high end luxury item you have to deal with diminishing returns, that last 5-10% performance is likely best on the toughest targets; fine Jupiter and Saturn detail etc and slightly clearer marginal double splitting and is what costs the most.

If I didn't have a Vixen Fluorite I would also be tempted..

EDIT: ED Ting has a comparo with a 102ED and a Tak FS102 which pretty much echo's the same thing...

Tony. 

I think this is the report you are thinking of Tony ?:

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1c.html#8

My Vixen is the ED102SS which is the F/6.5 version. Very nice optics as well and remarkable control of CA for it's focal ratio and what I believe is a FPL-51 rather than FPL-53 ED element.

There is one of the F/9 Vixen ED's for sale complete with mount here:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=108738

Rather a good buy at the price, I'd have thought.

Apologies for going a little off the Tak FC-100 topic.

2 minutes ago, John said:

I think this is the report you are thinking of Tony ?:

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1c.html#8

My Vixen is the ED102SS which is the F/6.5 version. Very nice optics as well and remarkable control of CA for it's focal ratio and what I believe is a FPL-51 rather than FPL-53 ED element.

There is one of the F/9 Vixen ED's for sale complete with mount here:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=108738

Rather a good buy at the price, I'd have thought.

Apologies for going a little off the Tak FC-100 topic.

Indeed the review was that one. Looking at that ABS link, it is a good price, also note that I think the 102ED would be better on planets than the TV102....the TV has the 'rich field' advantage of course...horses for courses..:icon_biggrin:

Tony.

I was having something of a internal conflict over weather to wait for one of the DL fc100s after talking through things with Nick at TT.  in the end I didn't want to miss out on the best months for viewing jupiter so went with the 7.4 (which as everyone says truly is spectacular).

Also like to say Nick was great with me and actually sold me a df version for the cost of the dc after the one he ordered got mistakenly sold by the distributer so another happy customer.

When I want a tsa 120 in a couple of years time (or the fc 125 we all hope comes along) I'd certainly buy from him again.

On 07/05/2016 at 12:43, Gavster said:

The one that is spoken for is mine. ?

Nick at Trutek has been very responsive and helpful with me. I've had a couple of emails from him just today.

Looking forward to receiving it very soon. 

Im looking forward to images of its birth from box to tripod and on your first light impressions. What a lucky Gavster you are! :headbang:

Mike 

Just now, mikeDnight said:

Im looking forward to images of its birth from box to tripod and on your first light impressions. What a lucky Gavster you are! :headbang:

Mike 

Surely you mean 'boxes!' Mike ?

13 hours ago, Gavster said:

I'm hoping that Stu can assist me in giving an experienced comparison between the DF and the DL...?

I can't see that it's been done before.

That would be good! I've seen plenty of pictures of the DF/DC along side the DL but comparisons are strangely silent. I hope you get a really good night with excellent seeing and can match the magnification closely for your test. I suspect the results will be as follows:

DL  CA = 0 , DF CA = 0

Star images in DL textbook perfect; in DF textbook perfect

Lunar and planetary performance DL = gobsmacking; DF = gobsmacking

Magnification DL = 100X per inch; DF = 100X per inch

Rich field / DSO, DL = :icon_cyclops_ani: , DF = :icon_cyclops_ani:

Gavin :blob9:,  Stu :blob9:

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 13:06, mikeDnight said:

Hi John,

Mike

Hi John,

I totally agree with Mike on this. I've dealt with Nick several times having bought several Tak diagonals and found him a pleasure to deal with, by email and by phone. He is "old school", a one man type operation but with a wealth of knowledge and completely unsoiled by marketing hype :-)...he says it as he sees it.

I also agree that the Tak would probably only show marginal improvement over your Vixen ED..I'm delighted with my ED103s and much as I would love to own a Tak, I'd only take the plunge (assuming funds allowed of course) to a higher power 120 or 128mm, which in practice for me would mean a used one.

Tempting though, isn't it??!! :-)

Dave

Archived