NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stu, sorry just realised what I said was misleading. What I meant was that the DL would be on the T-Rex and the DF will be on my modified vixen porta 2 (ie hal 100 tripod) to enable me to compare them side by side. The porta 2 is fine with the DF but might be reaching its limit with the longer DL. I do like my slo mo controls!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gavster said:

Stu, sorry just realised what I said was misleading. What I meant was that the DL would be on the T-Rex and the DF will be on my modified vixen porta 2 (ie hal 100 tripod) to enable me to compare them side by side. The porta 2 is fine with the DF but might be reaching its limit with the longer DL. I do like my slo mo controls!

Ah, I get it! No probs.

We could slap them in my Ercole if we meet up so they are side by side, although no slo mos of course. Not a fan myself, they require too much co-ordination, which I am sorely lacking ?

4 hours ago, John said:

Wow ! - nice mount. The T-Rex is capable of handling far heavier scopes than the Tak FC100 from photos I've seen of other payloads on them.

Mine will be on my Giro II mount atop it's hardwood tripod.

Can't wait until Monday when it's due to arrive !

John, I've been having a bit of a try out of the t-Rex - it doesn't seem to even notice the 4 inch frac. However surprisingly out of the box there was a bit of striction on one of the slo mo controls which initially concerned me. After eventually finding a suitable Allen key, I was able to adjust it - it's now fantastic

I'm working today but my other half has phoned me to let me know that two boxes with Japanese text printed on them have arrived, one long and one smaller and square. I wonder that could be inside them :biggrin:

John, I'd be interested to know if you decide to stick with the mount clamp supplied with the DL. I wasn't that comfortable with it so got some tube rings instead (sourced from the US with annoying imperial screw holes that has taken me a while to source appropriate screws!)

26 minutes ago, Gavster said:

John, I'd be interested to know if you decide to stick with the mount clamp supplied with the DL. I wasn't that comfortable with it so got some tube rings instead (sourced from the US with annoying imperial screw holes that has taken me a while to source appropriate screws!)

Was there a problem with the Tak clamp Gavin, or was it that you simply prefer rings? 

Mike

Just now, mikeDnight said:

Was there a problem with the Tak clamp Gavin, or was it that you simply prefer rings? 

Mike

I opted for rings with mine Mike. Doesn't look as nice, but the wider spacing gives a more stable mounting I think. That will be more important with the longer DL too.

35 minutes ago, Gavster said:

I'll let you know. I'll use the supplied tube clamp to start off with. I've just unpacked the scope and it all looks so well put together I can't imagine that the stock tube clamp won't do the job but we will see. I have a 10" CNC dovetail bar to bolt to it.

I'm no expert on Tak hardware but the 100DL tube clamp is 50mm longer than the F/7.4 version to allow for the longer tube and seems to have more holes in it - 5 on each side ?

Early days for me and I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

PS: New scopes have a wonderful smell about them, don't they ?. I've only bought new a couple of times and the last one was many years back so I'd forgotten that subtle aroma they have - maybe from the lens coatings ?

One question for Gavin if I may,

Will I need the 2" extension tube if I use a 2" mirror diagonal with the scope ?. The diagonal I'm intending to use initially is an Astro Physics 2" Maxbright. I'm not binoviewing.

I'm using my t2 Baader prism diagonal and just get to focus with the ethos without using the extension tube - the focuser is racked out close to full. But with the longer light path of your mirror diagonal I would think you would be fine, ie no need for the extension tube. I have a 2 inch mirror diagonal but haven't tried it yet.

35 minutes ago, Gavster said:

John, I think the idea of the extension is to enable straight through viewing without a diagonal which I'm told is popular in Japan. 

Enjoy your experimenting!

Yes, my Vixen ED102SS has a similar extension. With Mars and Saturn where they are currently I think straight through might make sense with them !

I do end up using an extension tube with certain configurations including a T2 prism which has a very short light path. As you say, just play around and see how you go. I have the FeatherTouch on mine though which I think might be shorter than the standard focuser. I do like the fact that there always seems to be plenty of inwards focus range with Taks, makes them more flexible I think.

2 hours ago, John said:

I'll let you know. I'll use the supplied tube clamp to start off with. I've just unpacked the scope and it all looks so well put together I can't imagine that the stock tube clamp won't do the job but we will see. I have a 10" CNC dovetail bar to bolt to it.

I'm no expert on Tak hardware but the 100DL tube clamp is 50mm longer than the F/7.4 version to allow for the longer tube and seems to have more holes in it - 5 on each side ?

Early days for me and I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

PS: New scopes have a wonderful smell about them, don't they ?. I've only bought new a couple of times and the last one was many years back so I'd forgotten that subtle aroma they have - maybe from the lens coatings ?

Although I laught out loud when I read you've been sniffing your telescope, I have to admit to doing it myself. I think its the black paint that Tak use on the inside of the dew shade. You could always try licking the lens to see if it has a flavour to it. You'll be happy to know though that Tak scopes retain that smell for years! So on those cloudy winter nights you can remove the lens cap and inhale deeply and still be happy. :icon_biggrin:  I love the smell of books too, though I like the smell of Taks better! :icon_bounce:

I'll be interested on your opinion  regarding the clamp. My little DC is only a small scope and the clamp holds it rock steady. I can't imagine an extra 160mm focal length making any difference to the rigidity of the tube assembly. My FS 128 was a monster by comparison and that too was held perfectly well in a Tak clamp. I have in the past heard of people who prefered rings simply because it added an extra measure of security by having two locking nuts rather than one. If i had to have rings theyed have to be Tak rings or my OCD would drive me batty. When I bought my FS152 second-hand, it came with CNC machined rings. There was nothing wrong with them except they weren't Tak and it did my scone in, but I'm not normal!

There is one thing you might really benefit from though and that's the Tak MEF3 microfocuser. It brilliant, especially when doing high power lunar and planetary! It's only money after all! £££

Mike

19 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Although I laught out loud when I read you've been sniffing your telescope, I have to admit to doing it myself. I think its the black paint that Tak use on the inside of the dew shade. You could always try licking the lens to see if it has a flavour to it. You'll be happy to know though that Tak scopes retain that smell for years! So on those cloudy winter nights you can remove the lens cap and inhale deeply and still be happy. :icon_biggrin:  I love the smell of books too, though I like the smell of Taks better! :icon_bounce:

I'll be interested on your opinion  regarding the clamp. My little DC is only a small scope and the clamp holds it rock steady. I can't imagine an extra 160mm focal length making any difference to the rigidity of the tube assembly. My FS 128 was a monster by comparison and that too was held perfectly well in a Tak clamp. I have in the past heard of people who prefered rings simply because it added an extra measure of security by having two locking nuts rather than one. If i had to have rings theyed have to be Tak rings or my OCD would drive me batty. When I bought my FS152 second-hand, it came with CNC machined rings. There was nothing wrong with them except they weren't Tak and it did my scone in, but I'm not normal!

There is one thing you might really benefit from though and that's the Tak MEF3 microfocuser. It brilliant, especially when doing high power lunar and planetary! It's only money after all! £££

Mike

Naa, get a FeatherTouch, it's crying out for it ??

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Naa, get a FeatherTouch, it's crying out for it ??

Takahashi actually did use feathertouch focusers on some of their TSA's, with 'made for Takahashi' engraved on the focuser. That wouldn't trouble my OCD so much. :happy7:

You folks are awful ! - the Tak has cost 4x more than I've ever spent on a scope or any piece of astro equipment for that matter and you are encouraging me to spend ever more on it ! :rolleyes2:

I got on just fine with my F/6.5 Vixen's single speed R&P for around 8 years before I upgraded to a Moonlite (only because I dropped the scope on the original and it was not the same again). I suspect I can cope with a single speed Tak focuser at F/9.

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Mike

:laughing4: You're sniffing the paint????  :icon_eek::D:D 

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Mike

Haha, me too, I love the smell of new scopes, in fact the lens cell in my Vixen fluorite still has that distinctive aroma that it had when I first picked it up. Intoxicating, I love the smell of fluorite in the morning, smells like....victory! (Apocalypse Now) :headbang::icon_biggrin:

Tony.

Archived