Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1396 Mono

AndyUK

For a plethora of reasons, this image has been a VERY long time coming (2.5+ years), and over that time I know there are quite a few things I've forgotten so this is going to be a bit of a learning curve again... and as for processing, well, I might as well start from scratch!

Anyway, this is a first light with my 3nm Ha Astrodon filter, and also technically a first light with my Moravian G2-8300/OAG... And I'm hoping that over the next 2-3 nights I might be able to get a first light with my 3nm OIII and so get my first colour image since 2013... (but that may take a while to process!).

(Any criticism / comments / tips gladly accepted - All I can really remember at the moments are levels, curves and selective overlay high pass filtering...)

NEQ6, APM80/f4.5, Moravian G2-8300, Lodestar OAG, 1.25" Astrodon 3nm Ha, 19x1200s

IC1396_Ha_1200 P3.jpg

Thanks Chris :) 

I bought the Moravian to a) try and minimise the need for mosaics  (I've tried a couple of fair-sized ones previously, but never got to fully complete them), b ) because it had an integral filter wheel and a bolt-on OAG (and c) I couldn't afford a QSI683-wsg8!)

However, even here it would probably have been better as 2-panes... (But then again, this really started off as just another test, that surprisingly turned out better than I hoped!)

This is 19x1200s... 

Now that is looking pretty damn good - It looks like you have everything working well together..... and to pull that out of the hat after such a while is impressive to say the least :D

Glad that the Moravian is working well and the 3nm Astrodon........ well that needs no introduction ....... Good to see you back at it Andy. Great perseverance and resilience :)

This is looking fabulous Andy. It can be hard after a long time away to pick everything back up but it sure looks to me as if your going to have no problem at all!!

Pete

Cheers all - Thanks very much for all your kind words :)...

I'd be lying if I said there haven't been quite a few times over the last 2+ years when I've seriously thought about throwing in the towel - I must have hit almost every single hurdle I came across but finally it became possible to get over them all... and hopefully all that now remains is my naff processing!

Over those years though, I have to admit that I've been less keen to comment in this section, and for that I sincerely apologise to everyone - I know there have been some seriously excellent images posted, but seeing them just depressed me further, so I generally only "flitted"...  Sorry!   I know I have a way to go to get back on the path again, but hopefully I'll now be able to learn and draw inspiration from other peoples images...

@ Sara - The 3nm Ha Astrodon, whilst not cheap, has certainly improved contrast (I know on some DSO's it'll clip out the Hb, but that's a compromise I'm willing to accept) and I'm very happy to report that the Moravian 8300, with flats, can handle 1.25" filters - I don't know how I'd have been able to tell my wife I needed to spend a load more cash on unmounted filters!

@ Paul = The OIII is beginning to roll in as I type... (and now I've remembered how to focus, I have a feeling I might need to retake the Ha - The OIII seems to be coming in REALLY tight!)

@ Rob - I have a feeling I may be trying out your SGLXI tutorial sometime soon... :)

19 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

@ Rob - I have a feeling I may be trying out your SGLXI tutorial sometime soon... :)

I was going to mention that ;)  You should have the notes somewhere.

Might be useful for sharpening up the trunk and shrinking the garnet star a bit.

I certainly do have them :)... 

Might be useful for sharpening up the trunk and shrinking the garnet star a bit.

Yes... The garnet star is a particularly prime target... and I also fancy seeing if I can have a crack at a Cannistra palette on it (but that might just be pushing things just that little bit too far :))

18 hours ago, AndyUK said:

I certainly do have them :)... 

Yes... The garnet star is a particularly prime target... and I also fancy seeing if I can have a crack at a Cannistra palette on it (but that might just be pushing things just that little bit too far :))

You might struggle a bit with that, I found IC1396 to be really quite weak in OIII so theres not much to "grab hold of" as it were :)  while the Ha tends to dominate.

Thanks for that Rob - I ended up with 14x1200s OIII last night and I'm going to try for the same tonight (and, if the forecast holds true for tomorrow, maybe try and top up the Ha?).  However, even though I've taken OIII on IC1396 before, I was a little shocked how little OIII data there seemed to be - With a Maxim medium stretch I could JUST about make out the Elephant's trunk, but that was about it...

Thanks very much Barry :)

Unfortunately the finished HOO will have to wait a bit longer as the transparency nr Bath last night was attrocious :(.  I'll be trying again tonight though - I can't remember the last time I was out 3 nights on the trot(?)...

Thanks very much Bob / Olly :).  I do now have 35 x OIII to add, but I think I'll leave that until next week...  I'm feeling a bit tired now, and I suspect this is going to keep me fumbling around in PS for a month or more...

Archived