SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge

John

After thinking and convincing myself that I wouldn't, I've splashed out on a pre-owned 1.25" Lunt Herschel Wedge to use with my Vixen ED102SS refractor for the Mercury Transit event and other white light viewing. The wedge comes with a polarising filter which seems to be all I need to get started with it.

Any other tips on making the most of this cunning device would be welcomed :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great buy - and I'm not saying that because I have one myself!  You'll love it, just make sure to rotate the polarizer until it gives you the most detail and is not too bright.  If there is any glare you will miss some detail.  You'll find it much better than any filter - I wish I'd bought one about 45 years ago!

Great stuff John, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Excellent timing!

It is worth experimenting with a green filter to bring out the faculae more, or I believe a UHC might have a similar effect. The ideal is a Baader Continuum filter but that is more cost obviously. Make sure you keep any filters on the eyepiece side of the wedge and you will be fine!!

Have fun with it

Very good timing, just hoping for those fabled clear sky's now..

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

The ideal is a Baader Continuum filter but that is more cost obviously.

I tried my astronomic UHC filter the other day, did not like it at all, threw a "bubble gum" coloured cast over everything and seemed to kill any off axis detail in pink washout..  The Oiii filter though is a great addition and is very similar to the solar continuum I think in transmission lines.. 

Other than that, maybe a cold one to accompany the viewing, it does pay to be properly hydrated!

enjoy and clear sky's for the 9th (everyone)

Ta

Fozzie

Just now, Fozzie said:

Very good timing, just hoping for those fabled clear sky's now..

I tried my astronomic UHC filter the other day, did not like it at all, threw a "bubble gum" coloured cast over everything and seemed to kill any off axis detail in pink washout..  The Oiii filter though is a great addition and is very similar to the solar continuum I think in transmission lines.. 

Other than that, maybe a cold one to accompany the viewing, it does pay to be properly hydrated!

enjoy and clear sky's for the 9th (everyone)

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks Fozzie ??

4 minutes ago, John said:

Some great advice folks - thanks very much for the speedy replies on a busy Monday afternoon :icon_biggrin:

Busy yes, but if you were working through the dross I currently am... well you wouldn't need much of an excuse to break off... today is DRAAAGGGING!

The Lunt Hershel wedge is a wonderful filter to me. :) I believe you will get super views with it and your Vixen.

Never tried a solar continuum, but a simple Orion green filter #58 does the job very well. Much better than the variable polarising filter on everything: 

faculae, granulation, sunspots, penumbra, sunspot "eyelashes". It's the only colour filter I use and for solar observation, it's basically mounted on the ep barrel all the time.  

Just now, LukeSkywatcher said:

I'm going to assume that because its second hand that it has the all important ND3.0 filter installed or came with one.

Yes it has Paul. It's from a reputable owner who I've conversed with over the phone. Thanks for the concern though :icon_biggrin:

Just got one last week John, and I am vey happy with it. Much more detail showing than with the Astrozap filter. I have tried it with a polarising filter and a solar continuum filter. The nicer views were definitely with the continuum, but I will have to get used to the lime green Sun it produces. Let's hope for clear skies on the 9 th.

From that I've read (and I might have misunderstood it) the prism in the Lunt Herschel Wedge is already polarised in one direction so you just need to add a further single polarising filter to the bottom of the eyepiece then rotate the eyepiece to vary the overall effects of the polarisation.

Does that sound plausible ?

It does.. and I believe the WL wedge does produce polarised light so maybe just one half of a variable polarised filter is required.. I found having to twist the two the faffy bit.. I might be using it all wrong, in which case I'll get me coat **Turns and lets the door hit him on the way out!**   :iamwithstupid: 

3 minutes ago, John said:

From that I've read (and I might have misunderstood it) the prism in the Lunt Herschel Wedge is already polarised in one direction so you just need to add a further single polarising filter to the bottom of the eyepiece then rotate the eyepiece to vary the overall effects of the polarisation.

Does that sound plausible ?

Yes, that's correct John

I find the polariser really useful as when brighter it allows you to use it when there's e.g. thin cloud and small spots and pores seem to stand out more no matter what. If it's a nice sunny clear day with good seeing though, the darker settings provide more comfort and detail. Faculae also stand out more with the darker settings.

10 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

It does.. and I believe the WL wedge does produce polarised light so maybe just one half of a variable polarised filter is required.. I found having to twist the two the faffy bit.. I might be using it all wrong, in which case I'll get me coat **Turns and lets the door hit him on the way out!**   :iamwithstupid: 

The wedge I've purchased includes a single polarising filter so I should be "good to go" :icon_biggrin:

I seem to have a dark green filter knocking around my bits box so that will be worth a try too I reckon. Would the dark green filter be used stacked on the bottom of the eyepiece with the single polariser or would you use one or the other ?

1 minute ago, John said:

The wedge I've purchased includes a single polarising filter so I should be "good to go" :icon_biggrin:

I seem to have a dark green filter knocking around my bits box so that will be worth a try too I reckon. Would the dark green filter be used stacked on the bottom of the eyepiece with the single polariser or would you use one or the other ?

I think you could do either John, but probably best with both on the bottom of the eyepiece. You get the benefit of the green filtering and being able to fine tune the brightness still. I tend to just stick with a continuum filter in mine (plus the ND3.0 of course but it is perhaps a little bright at times.

John - glad you purchased this Herschel Wedge it should give great results in your Vixen. I prefer to use binoviewers with my HW and I find the Baader Continuum filter gives a detailed view of the surface and not too bright. When in cyclops I do require the single polarising filter which I just rotate to obtain the correct lever of brightness. I use the Continuum filter in addition to the polarising filter.

Just now, John said:

I'm assuming that my ED120 would gather too much light for the 1.25" wedge. Is that correct ?

No, you should be fine using the 1.25" in your 120ED, I think Shane does it and I used to.

Archived