NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair Astro Starwave 152mm v2 f5.9 refractor

1 hour ago, DRT said:

Perhaps you were thinking of the Bresser AR 152?

No, honestly. I know about the ES/Bresser and I've read comparisons between it and and this scope and somehow I just made myself believe it. Now when I went back to ckeck it again I just couldn't find anything about it being a Petzval. I guess I wanted this one really badly or I may be a living proof that multiverse exists... :)

I own the sw120 f8 now and I find the smaller format with those wide fields very appealing. I'm however not sure if the upgrade would be noticeable enough. 

1 hour ago, DRT said:

I have had the SW Startravel 150 F5, two SW 150 F8s, a Bresser AR 152 F7.9 and this Altair 152 F5.9 and I think this one is the best of them all.

Not only does it seem to have better glass at the pointy end it also has a focuser that blows the others out of the water and the sliding metal dew shield is a nice touch which can also be used to make small adjustments to the balance of the scope.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DRT said:

I have had the SW Startravel 150 F5, two SW 150 F8s, a Bresser AR 152 F7.9 and this Altair 152 F5.9 and I think this one is the best of them all.

Not only does it seem to have better glass at the pointy end it also has a focuser that blows the others out of the water and the sliding metal dew shield is a nice touch which can also be used to make small adjustments to the balance of the scope.

OK Derek you can stop now. I've got enough info from  you to move the Altair 152 V2 from my wish list to "get the scope as soon as you can list". (final confirmation will come at the star party). Thanks for posting would also like to discuss CA with this scope. Or not as the case may be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hi. Any full verdict on how the Altair 152 might stack up against  a C9.25 as mentioned. 

thanks.  John 

I have both the AA152 and the 9.25SCT, I also once had the Bresser 152 which I sold on to buy the AA152. I went for the AA152 as it was a faster scope and a shorter tube length. But it still kicks in at 11Kgs with nothing added. The 6'' objective is a massive bit of glass and it has to be sat well back on the saddle to balance.

It produces some lovely views and is sharp across 80-85% of the field.. The 10:1 focuser is a beaut and it does not run out when a DSLR is attached. I use it mainly for wide fields with both 2'' and 1.25'' ep's.

The whole of the focuser end can be rotated and only requires a small amount of refocus afterwards.

It is a lovely combination with many of my ep's and reasonably forgiving. I only notice a very small amount of CA with very bright larger objects.

My 9.25SCT is my workhorse as it is easy to mount and balance on the EQ6 I have installed in my obsy. I use it for Lunar and Planetary and with a 0.63 reducer for DSO. I did add a Featherlight 10:1 focuser to replace the stock one supplied and that has made a big difference.

I am really looking forward to the Autumn & Winter nights with these two.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, baggywrinkle said:

I have both the AA152 and the 9.25SCT, I also once had the Bresser 152 which I sold on to buy the AA152. I went for the AA152 as it was a faster scope and a shorter tube length. But it still kicks in at 11Kgs with nothing added. The 6'' objective is a massive bit of glass and it has to be sat well back on the saddle to balance.

It produces some lovely views and is sharp across 80-85% of the field.. The 10:1 focuser is a beaut and it does not run out when a DSLR is attached. I use it mainly for wide fields with both 2'' and 1.25'' ep's.

The whole of the focuser end can be rotated and only requires a small amount of refocus afterwards.

It is a lovely combination with many of my ep's and reasonably forgiving. I only notice a very small amount of CA with very bright larger objects.

My 9.25SCT is my workhorse as it is easy to mount and balance on the EQ6 I have installed in my obsy. I use it for Lunar and Planetary and with a 0.63 reducer for DSO. I did add a Featherlight 10:1 focuser to replace the stock one supplied and that has made a big difference.

I am really looking forward to the Autumn & Winter nights with these two.

That is a fine combination baggy, I'm sure you have some cracking views between the two :) 

Its taken me a lot of time and trying to get there but I am happy with these two for the obsy and my Mak 127 and AA70ED for grab and go.

I have been playing around with an F5 200mm SW reflector but for some reason I do not get on with it too well. The EP/focuser is never in the right place when on an EQ mount. I have to keep rotating the barrel of the OTA so I can see and use a foot stool to get me to EP height at times.

Edited by baggywrinkle
correction
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

It's always been a puzzle to me to see folks enjoying Newts on eq mounts, unless the ota is small, the spinning of the tube is just an art form ! Fracs don't suffer this and are proper telescopes,

Nick.

Proper telescopes - and that's a Fract!!

I love refractors and have owned more of them than any other kind of scope but there are many things that my 12" dob has shown me that no frac that I could ever afford or be able to use could show and those sights make up the richness of the hobby just as much as the things that fracs are so good at.

If it's showing me something lovely and even better, something that I've not seen before, then it's a "proper scope" regardless of the design IMHO :icon_biggrin:

@ baggywrinkle: I'm a bit confused when you say that your AA152 "....is sharp across 80-85% of the field...." :icon_scratch:

Do you mean that the scope has field curvature, coma or similar or do you think the eyepieces are the main factor perhaps ?

Edited by John
  • Like 3

On 24/08/2016 at 07:34, cotterless45 said:

I'd love to have a shot at this most praised achro. I've heard so much , I posted on observing double stars some very fine binaries. Just wondering if the 152 performs with finesse,

old Nick.?

Feel free to wander over to mine at SGLXII, Nick :wink:

On 8/24/2016 at 11:17, cotterless45 said:

It's always been a puzzle to me to see folks enjoying Newts on eq mounts, unless the ota is small, the spinning of the tube is just an art form ! Fracs don't suffer this and are proper telescopes,

Nick.

:hiding:

• 2 weeks later...

I am seriously thinking of getting one of these AA Starwave 152 Achro to replace my Orion VX8 and 4" Astro Tech ED frac. I want to reduce my scopes to a 12" Dob and 6" Frac.

Question has anyone used binoviewers in the AA 152 frac and was it easy to gain inward focus or did you require a barlow?

Has anyone observed tight doubles in the AA 152 frac and compared the view with say a 4" ED.

If you think I am making a mistake I would appreciate your honest opinion.

Mark,

I used binos with mine but it was with the Quark, which is also a barlow.

I spent an hour looking through it last weekend under a very dark sky in Skye and I have to say it was stunning. I didn't go looking for doubles but I did look at a few clusters and the resolution was fantastic.

There is one advertised on ABS UK right now - used three times and almost half price. If you go for it I could help with collection as it isn't far from me :wink:

Derek

27 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I am seriously thinking of getting one of these AA Starwave 152 Achro to replace my Orion VX8 and 4" Astro Tech ED frac. I want to reduce my scopes to a 12" Dob and 6" Frac.

Question has anyone used binoviewers in the AA 152 frac and was it easy to gain inward focus or did you require a barlow?

Has anyone observed tight doubles in the AA 152 frac and compared the view with say a 4" ED.

If you think I am making a mistake I would appreciate your honest opinion.

Not necessarily a simple question Mark, but what sort of objects do you tend to look at with your 4" ED?

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not necessarily a simple question Mark, but what sort of objects do you tend to look at with your 4" ED?

Stu I only use the 4" ED for Lunar, Solar with a Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge, Planets and Double stars. My Orion VX8 is now just my grab and go and my outreach scope. I thought a good 6" frac could be a nice scope on my SkyTee 2 for some DSO work but also to view the current 4" area with binoviewers. My only real worry was solar with the 1.25" HW which has been the subject of some discussion on the forum.

21 minutes ago, DRT said:

Mark,

I used binos with mine but it was with the Quark, which is also a barlow.

I spent an hour looking through it last weekend under a very dark sky in Skye and I have to say it was stunning. I didn't go looking for doubles but I did look at a few clusters and the resolution was fantastic.

There is one advertised on ABS UK right now - used three times and almost half price. If you go for it I could help with collection as it isn't far from me :wink:

Derek

Thanks for that Derek but I can't seem to find the scope on ABS.

7 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Stu I only use the 4" ED for Lunar, Solar with a Lunt 1.25" Herschel Wedge, Planets and Double stars. My Orion VX8 is now just my grab and go and my outreach scope. I thought a good 6" frac could be a nice scope on my SkyTee 2 for some DSO work but also to view the current 4" area with binoviewers. My only real worry was solar with the 1.25" HW which has been the subject of some discussion on the forum.

I think I would think carefully before losing the 4". The 152 would be great on DSOs, and I'm sure would work well with the Wedge, but giving up colour free planetary and lunar views may not be something you want to do?