NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

G'day every one... from Brisbane Australia

Squidie

G'day everyone, I'm Squidie from Brisbane Australia. Today I just bought a 8" Dobson Skyfinder to start my star gazing. I've have only seen the Moon through a Telescope before, when I stole it from my older brother at the age on 10 with out his permission ...lol and I am looking forward to seeing a lot more than just the moon. I am nearly 44 years old now and I just got divorced not long ago so I thought I would Start A hobby I always wanted to do. So here I am. As the weather is bad tonight I was looking on the net to find what the inner cap did on my lens cover and it was your site that told me what I can use it for. Again hello every one :hello:

Hi Squidie and welcome to SGL, you will find plenty of information in the various sections of the lounge, that will, no doubt, be of help to you. In the meant time enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

G'day squidie and welcome to sgl from a Sydney boy living in the UK (I stole a loaf of bread). Enjoy your new toy and try and get out west a bit away from the city light pollution.  It'll change the way you look at the night sky. Also, download Stellerium, it's free and it's a great bit of software to show you whats in your sky and when to see it :)

Greetings, Squidie, and welcome to SGL - nice to have you aboard! I have friends up in Gladstone, and there is another new member here from Brisbane. We love finding answers to questions here - on all aspects of astronomy - so don't feel shy!

Clear & dark skies -

Dave

2 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings, Squidie, and welcome to SGL - nice to have you aboard! I have friends up in Gladstone, and there is another new member here from Brisbane. We love finding answers to questions here - on all aspects of astronomy - so don't feel shy!

Clear & dark skies -

Dave

we preferred to call it happy rock when I lived there oh so many yrs ago (1981/82) :D

Heya Squidie, I'm the Brisbanite Dave mentioned! Welcome :-) I've been into this for about 3 years (40th birthday was my motivation to jump in) so happy to help locally where I can. I have a couple of friends I occasionally head to Lake Moogerah with (about an hour and a quarter south west) so once the sky is clear and the moon disappears I can let you know when we're heading down. The sky is pretty dark down that way and the 8" Dob will show you heaps! I also observe from my backyard in Moorooka but it's not a patch on a dark sky site.

Archived