Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter Mars and Saturn 25th Feb

johnh

SPX350 F39, PGRFlea3, Baader rgb filters.

I have done little in the last year but 2016 will be great for planets here in Australia with Mars and  Saturn overhead and Jupiter finally getting to a decent altitude.  Seeing was predicted as good but was only above avg with occasional good moments.  Jupiter would not settle down  but showed great promise, the Ir742nm showed some fine detail.  I managed to get some Ganymede detail but seeing needs to be near perfect.  Hopefully I will get a few more chances, my processing skills are a little rusty as I did this a little too quickly.

Thanks, John.

jupiter-RGB f39.3-cs3.jpg

ir1-2016-02-25-1505_8-IR-4_g5_ap39-r6-2.jpg

GRS close up-resized.jpg

ganymede rgb-cs3x.jpg

mars-RRGB2-cs3-resizedx.jpg

saturn-RGB2-cs3.jpg

Hi John good to see you posting planets again. Hope your doing well.  And nice images.

Looking on Stellarium  Mars Saturn  Jupiter are pretty much a waste of time for years to come in the UK, after next year Jupiter at 35 degrees gets even worse.

Venus at 35 degrees briefly in the new year 2017.

Time to go back to Lunar imaging for me.

But of course, what's worse in the north is great in the south, so hope to see some more shots from you in the future.

Thanks everyone.

Yes Neil its Exciting here in Aus, I don't know if you've though about a dispersion corrector at lower altitudes as they do work for mono ccd's usually below 50 degs alt.

Jupiter is 56 deg, Mars gets to 84 and Saturn to 83 degs alt from Brisbane.  Mars and Saturn are right next to each other in May so I think Mars will probably get the lions share of my time.

The UK does have it tough with a lower ecliptic and Jupiter moves too quickly year by year while Saturn hangs around for ever.

John.

Archived