Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Experimount has landed!

steppenwolf

Fault-finding image defects in deep sky astrophotography can be an onerous task and to help track down these issues, it really helps to have the mount and camera all set up so that you can visualise exactly what is going on. Let's be honest, equatorial mounts are not exactly intuitive in their movements especially where meridian flips and the attendant image rotation of 180 degrees are concerned!

So a simple expedient is to have a small EQ mount to play with in the comfort of your home which is why I 'developed' the Experimount. This fiendishly sophisticated mount simulator allows me to point the 'telescope' to any position on the sky with the camera at any angle of rotation, carry out meridian flips, determine how the light from the celestial object falls on the sensor and how this relates to any issues like sensor tilt and so on.

Patent Pending.

The All New Experimount (motor drives extra, no batteries required, use with discretion)

Experimount.thumb.png.fd625ba33022b12f6a

Actually, never mind the plumbing jokes, it's 20mm conduit isn't it?

According to my vernier gauge (yeah, I know ...) it is 22.1mm but it is simply waste overflow pipe, elbows and 'T' joints - in another life, I used these to make dog agility equipment but my son now runs that business so I raided his 'parts' bin!

Actually, right at this moment I'm supposed to be plumbing the new bath in as part of my big new bathroom project. Plainly I not actually doing that right now!

This got me thinking. If plumbing bits can be used for planning astro equipment could I not bring my EQ6 into the house and play about with it claiming I'm modeling the new pipework for the bath?

Sounds reasonable enough to me!

Right, 'nuff of the jokes and Meccano (although I have to admit that those Meccano designs are wonderful!) this seemingly crazy diagnostic tool has proved to be extremely useful as I discovered last night while analysing some data.

Thanks for your comments and the laughs too!

Archived