NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greeting to All...Old/New Hobbyist Making a Re-Entry.....From Chicago

JTM4360

Since childhood Iv'e been amazed at our beautiful, vast heavens, I'm closing in on 60 years on this planet, still a young pup.  Always wondering whats out there, are they're other planets like earth far far away, people like us, living in different times or era's as our civilization did?  Aliens, galaxies, planets, stars, nebula's, black holes, on and on....  My first look at the surface of the moon with a telescope my parents got me in 8th grade, and I was hooked for life. The most amazing of all is the ability of space to go beyond the human brains ability of thought in t's vastness, where does it start, where does it end, how did it start, where did it start, does it end. My loving wife got me a very nice Valentines gift, a Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 S/C GoTo, awaiting delivery today.  Having recently retired from Law Enforcement, I plan on getting back into the "safeness" of space. Maybe even do some astroimaging.

I simply compare the heavens to golf, your outside, chasing after little white objects, always room for improvement, never perfect and always exciting to accomplish a great round......not to mention addictive.

Happy to be a member of the StarGazers Lounge, the higher thinkers........ Thanks for inviting me in

Hi and welcome to the forum. It's all very well receiving a romantic present of a telescope from the wife but what I want to know is - what was your romantic gift to her? :icon_scratch:  The reason I ask, is that if you want to pursue astrophotography (which at times might prove a little bit expensive) you've got to "push the boat out" on valentines day to be allowed to make those future purchases - us astro boys have to think strategically! :wink2: :grin::grin:

Hi JTM and welcome to SGL, that is a very nice scope you have in transit, I am sure will derive much pleasure from using it. If your memory still holds good, with the views of the Moon through your first cope, you should be blown away, with what the 200mm will give you. Enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

First off, what a great and super informative forum, this is the real deal here.

First clear night over Chicago's southwest side since receiving the Evolution 8.  "Bright Giant," you were dead on with my first views through the Evolution 8.  I was floored!!!  I dreamed of this sight as a kid, I felt as tho I was 13 again. The moon was brilliant, tact sharp focus, I've not gotten any filters yet. Just awesome. Visited the Orion Nebula, Jupiter and her moons, just stunning, got Jupiter to just barely show me some banding, very cool.  Then just general gazing until 0200 hours when the Mrs came and unglued my eye from the scope.  My iPad was a little buggy holding wifi, sort of aggravating having to realign each time.  Then I tried my iPhone 6 Plus and it worked flawlessly with both SkyPortal and SkySafari Pro.  Next on the hit list, maybe some "tweener lenses," (not big on balrows) filters and maybe an imager (after researching them.)  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I've also got a Sony NEX 7, 24 mp, Sony AR7 34 mp, Nikon D300, Nikon D7000, Nikon D7100. The NEX 7 fits nicely between the base tray when at Zenith from what I've read.  Gonna try T Ring adapters, tubes and start from there for some simple moon shots, gotta crawl before ya can run.....

Ref Valentines Day Gift:  James, when you treat Momma REAL nice ALL YEAR LONG, this is what I got in return. I'm a lucky guy.....believe me!!! 

Archived