Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another eyepiece conundrum

bomberbaz

Ok since the purchase of new scope (Orion IT10" F4.7) which is my new main scope, I have been reviewing my eyepieces and the upshot is the Moonfish 30mm/80 degree is going to have to go. My eyes do not dilate enough to take advantage of the higher exit pupil of the eyepiece in this scope (6.4mm) so time to make some changes. Here is my shortlist below for replacement and rationale  pro's & cons for either.

Nagler 26mm / 82 degree. £455 - x46 / 1.78 tfov

Pro- Its quality here isn't it. Holds it's price well and there is something re-assuring about holding something like this and knowing its in the premier league. ER at 16mm so ok.

Con - Expensive

Explore Scientific 25mm / 100 degree. £482 - x48 / 2.08 tfov

Pro. Again we have quality although not quite in the same class as the Nagler but what you do get is the amazing spacewalk experience of a hyper wide eyepiece.

Con - Again its expense but also eye relief, it is stated as long ( as a piece of string maybe) and it might be a bit sloppy at the edges although I do have a MPCC in place to help. QUESTION. Has anyone got a comparable to this eyepiece that will allow us to draw an approximation of the ER?

Explore Scientific 24mm / 82 degree. £195 - x50 / 1.64 tfov

Pro - Still decent quality but moreover less than half the price of the above two so big savings and will still do a good job in raplcing the moonfish.

Con - Ok starting to lose out a bit on the TFOV a little although in fairness its what the moonfish gave me in the old 12" flextube. Eye relief is the other one, same as above, just stated as "long" so its the same QUESTION. Has anyone got a comparable to this eyepiece that will allow us to draw an approximation of the ER?

There is a 24mm 82 es on the display items of bresser.de a link in an earlier thread... €130 plus €10 shipping... that adds up to a BARGAIN!!!!! snap it up before my weakness gets the better of me and I spend some of our wedding money I'm putting aside... who needs table fancies anyway?

The radian fell through, price was not as i thought so left it. On the upside with the stuff I have been selling I convinced myself the 8mm Vixen LVW at the FLO price of 137 was too good to miss so alls well that ends well :icon_biggrin::hello2:

I guess the 26mm nagler is the one that fits the bill but I made the mistake of looking at the Moon with it, heavy on edge distortion, took an instant dislike and sold it. That took all of 5 minutes I recall. 

A cheaper option, what about either 24mm Meade UWA or ExSc, I had the former and really wish I had held on to it, I may have if it had been green and black. The 24mm 82 degree field is really good whilst not as good as the 26mm Nagler it is not far behind. Again there is a review by me in the same section as the Paracorr.

That sounds like deal of the century!

I have just sold my 9 month old example. In my f4.7 Dob, it was truely splendid. Sorry to see it go. But at least it is going to a good home.

The 28mm 68° version is on its way for my baby scope (same source, similar discount, couldn't resist).

Enjoy

Paul 

11 hours ago, Paul73 said:

The 28mm 68° version is on its way for my baby scope (same source, similar discount, couldn't resist).

Reaquiring it? The bigger granades have unwanted effect on small 80Ed?:hmh:

5 hours ago, YKSE said:

Reaquiring it? The bigger granades have unwanted effect on small 80Ed?:hmh:

It isn't the scope that is the problem. I have it on a SW AltAz 3 with a bar & weights on the front.

The scope is rock solid but the mount leaves a lot to be desired.

So rather than faffing about moving weights every time that I change an eyepiece. I'm going for parity.

Baader 8 to 24 zoom or Delos 8, 12, 17.5 if at home

And the ES 68° 28mm for the wide views. All in a similar ball park weight wise.

I could have gone for the heavy brass 2" to 1 1/4" adapter which would have kept things balanced nicely with the ES 24mm 82°. But I accidentally aquired an Ethos 21mm for my dob...... Feeling a bit skint now. Hence going down the cheap route for now. ??

Paul

If the Meade xtremes are as good as the ES 100* then the deal on FLO is excellent. I recently bought the ES 9mm 100* but if I'd known the meades were going to drop I'd probably have gone for the Meade and saved meself a few bob

Archived