NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and the Great Red Spot!

astroavani

1cbe68e264444f6ceb1a51663c24c9c8.1824x0_
Certainly this was one of the best shots I got the giant planet, both the definition of the details and the general color pleased me greatly.
As the altitude of 55 in my latitude is still considered low for high quality photos I think this was a good result.
I know many photographers of the far north claim that we are a fortunate here that the planet is always in good altitude, we still have to note that the best photos are always obtained at altitudes greater than 70 and a privileged seeing sites.
All this, plus the setup used to be considered at the time of evaluating a planetary picture.
With the changes made in SGL'll leave this post to go accustoming myself to them!

Fantastic captures Avani, there is so much detail there, excellent results. If I could get half the detail you do, I would be very happy. Keep going with your great work.

Jupiter is quite high in the sky here but seeing conditions are still very poor, it has been for days. Still waiting for a good imaging night, I have only had 1.

16 hours ago, astroavani said:

Hello Aussie, try using a high speed camera to freeze the seeing. An IR filter 685 would help a lot in the beginning as the conditions do not improve.

Hi Avani. I only have the Celestron UV-IR Cutoff filter #94125 http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-uv-ir-cut-off-filter.html

Celestron filter has cutoff at 690nm - yet leaves all the visible red, including the important 656nm H-alpha emission line. Slightly different to your filter but close. I have been using this filter for about 4 weeks now with imaging. It does seem to help.

I also have Meade Series 4000 1.25" Light Yellow #8 and Light Blue #82A, Milo 2" Light Blue #82A, Vivitar 2" Light Amber warm #85 filter. I bought these for planetary imaging but have not used yet.

I have 1.25" Orion OIII narrowband filter for when I start imaging on larger nebular later in the year with a better imager.

I am still searching for a good priced used ZWO 224MC astro imaging camera :happy7: I will continue to use my webcam until I get the ZWO. I really like my little CMOS webcam and it performs well for what it is.

Hello Aussie Dave! When the wind is very bad, filters that capture RGB band generally degrade the image. An IR Pass filter, despite providing photos only in black and white has the advantage that the long waves above 685 nm are less influenced by the poor see thereby enabling higher-quality photos.
Remember the first pictures I was posting in December?
They were all made in IR because seeing was bad and because the planet was too low. Only now with the conditions to see improving is that I started using the Astronomik L filter which is actually a UV-IR cut filter.

Montana Hello! Never feel ashamed for any results achieved, the conditions are very different to compare any photograph. The particularities of each one, your site, your setup and the way it works in processing make each photographer a single artist.
Continue developing your line of work that will surely come in point that will leave you satisfied.
Hugs!
Avani.

5 hours ago, astroavani said:

Hello Aussie Dave! When the wind is very bad, filters that capture RGB band generally degrade the image. An IR Pass filter, despite providing photos only in black and white has the advantage that the long waves above 685 nm are less influenced by the poor see thereby enabling higher-quality photos.
Remember the first pictures I was posting in December?
They were all made in IR because seeing was bad and because the planet was too low. Only now with the conditions to see improving is that I started using the Astronomik L filter which is actually a UV-IR cut filter.

I had been wanting to ask you what the IR Pass filter and this magical "L filter" was lol. I ended up searching online about the IR Pass to read what it was and I remembered that I had a similar filter in one of my cases. That's when I started using mine.

I do vaguely remember your pictures in December yes, the black and white images but they did not have as much detail as these last 2 images that you have produced. It's quite a difference.

Archived