Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

70mm "Shootout", Part 2: Under the Stars

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those links. I would really like to test the Lunt 16x70 and Opticron 16x80 side by side before making my decision.

It seems that I may soon have the opportunity to do just that. Be assured that I'll write it up! :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2016 at 14:25, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Thanks for those links. I would really like to test the Lunt 16x70 and Opticron 16x80 side by side before making my decision. The Fuji is now definitely out of the picture

Sorry this has taken so long; I've have managed to get a lergy (possibly the legendary 'dreaded' one :icon_biggrin:) during the latest batch of decent weather. Had a brief play this morning, mostly in astro-twilight. First impressions: similar optical quality; could hold Io and Europa split (27 arcsec when I started observing) maybe a tad further out in the Lunt, but it was marginal. The larger aperture of the Opticron is noticeably brighter, maybe only 1/5 to 1/4  of a magnitude, but immediately obvious. The Opticron is only about 250g heavier so they are pretty much equivalent in weight. The Opticron also has nice touched like slightly extensible dew-shields on the objectives & twist-up eye-cups. It also mounts directly onto the tripod-head QR plate., so no adaptor needed. Seen below on Manfrotto 501 head.

Played around a bit last night, comparing the Lunt with the Opticron. Nothing to choose between them where CA and stray light control (using the lunar limb for both). The Lunt is slightly better near the edge of the FoV, but there's not a lot in it and, given that the Opticron has a slightly larger FoV (4.3* vs 4.1*), there's even less in it!

Saw nothing to cause me to revise my previous opinion: if you're spending £500-ish on a binocular, if it's going to be your biggest one, get the Opticron; if not, consider the Lunt.

I'll try to get the full review write-up on the Opticron done next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived