NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Twin Star Telescopes

Rastaman88

I am coming back to the hobby after five years.  I have been working nights , I have ONE night off a week now, but my Meade 12 inch is too much to put up in the winter. I am looking at a 6 inch twin star reflector gps for $500. or a celestron 8SE for 1000. Any  advice?

Hi Rastaman88 and welcome to SGL, changing your scope, especially when you have had some previous experience in the hobby, will be somewhat of a personal choice and based on what you want to observe. Although you may take some advice into consideration, I think you will find that the consensus of opinion will always be to go for the scope with the largest light gathering objective you can finance, even though you are planning to down grade from your 12" Meade, enjoy the forum :) 

Sorry but never heard of "Twin Star" telesscopes over here - I assume that this is the question?????

Or has the UK and US got the terms and language mixed up a bit ? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Any chance of a link to the scope, assuming that that is what it is, as it is likely to be a branded model of another, usually a Skywatcher/Synta item.

You will find that as time progresses even 8SE start to look a lot of effort to set up.

I will go have a search for Twin Star Telescopes in the meantime.

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

I've had a look at the TwinStar scope and it's a short tube reflector of the Bird-Jones type. Not something I would recommend for serious observation.

If you want ease of set up then you'd be better off with a Dobsonian.

OK, found them.

They are, I guess as they look like, fairly standard scopes, might be Skywatcher but ultimately a 6" reflector looks much the same immaterial of who makes it. I presume you are considering the 6" fitted to iOptron Cube mounts that perform the goto aspect (I guess goto as you asked about the 8SE as an alternative). So I assume you refer to the 6" reflector on the iOptron Cube.

Would have thought that the iOptron Cube was a bit lightweight for a 6" reflector.

Have a couple of concerns about the manual, one or two bits are not 100% correct which makes me start to suspect their actual knowledge. They say to put the middle of the tube in the centre of the rings, problem there is you should put the centre of mass in the centre of the rings and as one end is a lump of glass the centre of mass is not the middle by simple dimensions. They do not mention actually aligning scope and finder, just magically assume the it will be aligned - it won't.

Since the TS one is 6" and the 8SE is 8" the 8Se is better in terms of aperture, but then why not the 6SE?

Same 6" aperture as the TS but the 6SE is on the same mount as the 8SE so you have a mount that is easily capable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived