Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A frustrating first evening with skyliner 200p

Tonight was the first clear night we've had in manchester for myself and daughter to start stargazing in ernest, but........

All we could see down the eye piece when lined up with a bright star was the secondary mirror assembly and the spiders (which looked like crosshairs), what have i done wrong or not done? Do i need to align something?

Any help definetly appreciated.

Kind regards and a Happy New Year

Chris

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year to you!

It sounds like you were not focused properly. Did you go right through the range of adjustment of focus? If you did and still did not reach focus, you might have both adaptors installed in the focuser which causes you not to be able to reach focus. For 1.25" eyepieces you just need the 1.25" adaptor installed directly into the focuser, not with the 2" adaptor too if that makes sense.

Cheers,

Stu

As above , but remember to undo the focuser lock screw on the underside of the focuser first , even with it locked the focuser adjustment knob will turn giving the impression that things are moving when in fact it's just the spindle turning not the focuser tube.

Happy New Year to you and you daughter as well Chris :smiley:

What you saw was the view you get when the scope is way out of focus. If you are using the 2" and the 1.25" eyepiece adapters in the scope at the same time this is just the situation you get. These adapters need to be used on their own, depending on the size of eyepiece being used, not together. The instructions are not really clear about this.

If this is not the issue then report back and we will try and get to the bottom of it :smiley:

Ok,

So the Moon has come out the scope was only just put away, so out it came again, bright white light looking at the Moon no crosshairs or secondary mirror, looked at a star again, exactly the same problem as above

Im using the 25mm wide angle eye piece that came with the scope, which is connected to only the 1.25 adaptor,

Steve, the focuser feels like its moving up and down, do i still need to check this screw, where abouts on the focuser is it?

I've turned the focuser very slowly up and down, just brings the crosshairs and mirror duller and sharper, with a whiteish background.

Thanks

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the scope focuser exactly as you were using it ?

It will make diagnosing the cause of the issue much easier. Otherwise we will be guessing to some extent.

To do this you use the "More Reply Options" button at the lower right of the screen (next to "Post") and that gives you an editing panel with a facility to slect and attach an image at the bottom of the panel.

Chris, can you describe the view, and specifically what happens when you adjust the focus from one end of the range to the other? Do you at any point get a tiny dot of light with a cross of light through it? A bit like this?

66fd6c37397b41bd6c11493a98da9dfc.jpg

Or does it remain more like this?

ab0b1dda7e71aceaf2547382953eb006.jpg

Try setting it up in the day and see if you can bring a distant church spire into focus. It's much easier to see what's going on in the day time, just remember the view will be upside down, and, needless to say, DON'T look at the sun through the scope (at least not until you have a better understanding of the equipment and have the appropriate filters).

Alternatively, where about in Manchester are you? Can you get to Heaton Park on a Thursday evening? They run an astronomy club there, someone there will be able to help you.

Check the focus tube maoves when you turn the knob there is a screw that locks the focuser (i think its the small knurled one in your picture) in the tube but the focus knob still turnes, You can loosen the EP and move it with you hand this will bring or take the polo looking star in or out of focus, be careful not to drop it, just keep it aligned with the tube, if its better focus further out you need a extension tube, if it get worst going out wards then you need a short tube than the one in the picture.....you can test this in daylight on a distant object, just don't point it near the Sun,,,,,

Happy new year... Hmm interest I got the x in view thought I discovered a new plant...its the focus that needs adjusts... Can we c Jupiter from uk?

Download Stellarium, put in your location and this great free planetarium program will show you what's in your sky in real time.

Get it here:- http://www.stellarium.org/

HTH

Is it me or does that ep look way too far out from the focus tube? Have you got a barlow lens in-between the focus tube and the eyepiece?

You are right. The eyepiece isn't far in enough.

I thought that when I saw the picture and just checked my scope and you shouldn't be able to see the writing on the EP

Archived