NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Paint versus flock query

HN50

Hi,

This question has probably been asked before but I thought I would ask anyway. :)

I have been thinking about darkening the inside of my ST102 and note that the options are to either use flock or paint. Is there a general preference to either?

The flock looks pretty dark and would be less mess to apply, but has anyone had problems with it shedding fibres?

Thanks,

Dave

I flocked the focuser half of my reflectors and the difference is vast. I can't honestly say on fibre shedding as if only been out 3 times. I will take a look at the mirrors when I get chance. But I think any issues would lessen if you run a hoover over the flock before re-assembly of the scope.

Hi HN50, welcome to the forum...

I've flocked the inside of an st80 and 8" newt using the flocking paper... I was worried to about fibres so I gave the sheets a brush over with a suede brush and then gently hoovered after I'd stuck down.. Not noticed any debris of any kind after that.

Enjoy

Ta

Fozzie

You should also note that some "black" paints are not particularly black at all and can reflect quite a bit of light - there is a post somewhere about it. Flocking paper is certainly black and non-reflective.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That reminds me of model making as a kid - the matt black paint could be annoyingly shiny when viewed at an oblique angle(!).

I just finished off flocking my 8" Dobbie yesterday. Although the bottom half of the tube didn't go as well as the top half did ( probably because I was rushing it) it is extremely black. I posted some pics of my progress in the DIY section. I also purchased mine from my local Wilcos

Andy

You should also note that some "black" paints are not particularly black at all and can reflect quite a bit of light  - there is a post somewhere about it.  Flocking paper is certainly black and non-reflective.

A comment:

Most black paints (and black anodising) still reflect IR.

We decided on the current Spectra-L200 spectrograph to fully flock the interior, both to improve contrast and reduce IR reflections etc.

Well worth it!!

The problem concerns IR reflectivity in dye-based paints. The same does not apply to pigment-based matt black paints. These higher quality paints are used in heat proof applications such as barbecues and stoves, so use those if you ever want to darken using paint. Like the others, I'd flock.

Olly

I may flock my scope but the last time I did noticed it shed quite a few fibre's (even after a good brush) after a few weeks. I did try Hairspray to fix the fibre's and this seemed to help a lot

Archived