Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I am committed now !!!!!

Skipper Billy

I have taken the plunge and started work on my remote mini obsy.

I know its a weird time of year - the middle of the imaging season and only 7 hours of daylight and frozen ground but due to the seasonal nature of my business its the only time of year I can do it !!

It will be a micro obsy - 1.5 metres wide and deep and 1.7 metres tall (just big enough to accommodate a pier, HEQ5 mount and an ED80) - it will be remotely controlled from a warm room (aka lounge) 17 metres away.

The hole is dug and a pal and I will be pouring the concrete on Thursday.

It will have a two piece hinge apart roof, rain sensors, 2 x 150 ah leisure batts (one for dirty supply and one clean for the camera), built in battery charging and thermostatically controlled frost protection.

post-33941-0-91934700-1450000405_thumb.j

post-33941-0-76503300-1450000416_thumb.j

post-33941-0-31233100-1450000431_thumb.j

• Like 7

You might want to consider a small roll off rather than a hinged roof. My little obsy is almost identical to what you describe and I've regretted the hinged roof from day one, it is invariably full of dew in the morning. It's worse than anything else, I assume as it's a large flat surface. I've taken to throwing a couple of large towels over it to soak up the worst, obviously with a roll of this isn't a problem.

A dehumidifier is a definite as well to dry everything out.

Edited by wuthton

Not as cold as it looks - about -4 this morning.  This is the guide to Scottish weather........

The Official Scottish Temperature Conversion Chart

10° C · The English shiver uncontrollably. · Scots plant gardens.

1.6° C · The English fit winter tyres· Scots still drive with the windows down

0° C · English water freezes · Scottish water gets a wee bit thicker.

-17.9° C · English landlords finally turn on the heat. · Scots have the last BBQ of the year.

-51° C · Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. · Scottish Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-78.5° C · Carbon dioxide freezes & makes dry ice. · Scots pull down their earflaps & zip up their parkas.

-114° C · Ethyl alcohol freezes. · Scots get frustrated when they can't thaw water to put in their dram

-273.15° C · Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops. · Scots start saying ‘Aye – it’s chilly oot today’

-500° F (-295° C) · Hell freezes over. · Scotland wins the 6 Nations Rugby !!!!

• Like 15

The site looks great. Nice outlook.

I will watch you posts with interest.

I am sure you will have thought about it but just in case you haven't as yet, you can waterproof the concrete mix with Sika 1. I think it may be called Sika Proof now. It stops water penetration. In the presence of water it forms a waxy layer in the concrete and becomes a barrier to moisture. Also as you are pouring at this time of year I would use an accelerator if Sika allows,( I cannot remember).  A few years ago I put in new foundations and tanked the internal walls of the house. If you only use washed sharp sand it can be waterproofed that way. Yellow sand cannot as it is porous. Finally if you have  spare fibreglass insulation and a tarp cover it for a week to keep frost off the surface as it will destroy the finished surface. (I have included a pic on of some the foundation work).

I will be very interested in your progress. I only have a base down  as now not going to finish mine as moving.

Best of luck with the build.

Derek

post-3291-0-29389400-1450013957_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks for the help and encouragement - and the heads up about the waterproofing additive - I didn't know such a thing existed - concrete is a black art for me !!

The main source of encouragement was last night - got set up - temp according to the focus system was minus 7.2 - 4 x 300 sec subs into a run of 70 thick freezing fog appeared and covered everything in a thick haw frost. Made packing up a bit of an ordeal !!

Thanks for the help and encouragement - and the heads up about the waterproofing additive - I didn't know such a thing existed - concrete is a black art for me !!

The main source of encouragement was last night - got set up - temp according to the focus system was minus 7.2 - 4 x 300 sec subs into a run of 70 thick freezing fog appeared and covered everything in a thick haw frost. Made packing up a bit of an ordeal !!

Try this website for more info.

http://gbr.sika.com/en/builders-merchants-diy/builders-merchants-diy/02a024/02a024sa02.html

You do not need their expensive sand just well washed sharp sand. Your local builder may be able to supply it. Often they tell you it is washed but sometimes in WHAT, as it sure as heck is not fresh water. Wicks can supply washed sharp sand. Any salts will cause a track for water or moisture to penetrate and will leave  white deposits on the surface after a while.  What ever you do, do not use dish washing detergent to act as a plasticiser, as it will add salt!!! If you want that get the correct additive. At this time of year best to use a frostproofer. just be sure it is Sika friendly if you use it.

+4 deg and rising is spot on advice.

Ice starts forming even before the air temp gets to freezing as the ground radiates heat into space. As the temp falls Ice crystals grow in size.  If I can remember my physics, this takes place from 0 deg down to about -4 deg. Which is what causes the cracking of newly setting concrete/cement. A frost proofer retards the ice formation to below these temperatures. (not sure exactly what temps though, may vary by manufacturer).

Best of luck.

Derek

@Wuthton - why did having a roll off roof rather than a hinged roof make a difference with condensation ???

I assume that by hinged you mean that it will flip open (like mine). In this case the inside face is facing upwards but with a roll off the inside face remains downwards (dry).

The inside of my obsy remains reasonably dry but the inside of the roof is sopping wet on dewwy night which isn't great when you want to close everything up.

Ah - I see what you mean.

My roof will be hinged in such a way that the two halves drop down the respective sides and the inside of the roof stays next to the side of the shed - hopefully it will be OK.

I can see now that with the inside of the roof exposed it would attract dew.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Good luck with the build Billy you'll notice such a difference with a permanent set-up.  Oh, seeing as you are on the west coast I also feel I should thank you for taking the brunt of the wet stuff!  I did enjoy your temperature conversion chart. :smiley:

Jim