Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UK Astro Show

AlistairW

Well, for new innovations I quite liked this mount....

http://trackthestars.com/telescope-mounts/tts-300-mammoth-telescope-mount

I am considering the TTS-300 AZ mount which can carry upwards of 60KG.

And for imaging can be fitted with a field de-rotator.

Yes, an impressive system. I assumed the one on show was an observatory mount and was surprised when the chap demonstrating it explained how he set up the mount, which is modular, in the garden each time. It looked like the sort of mount that if I needed to ask how much it was then I couldn't afford it. This was confirmed when I glanced over the price list.

I was also interested to see the Peltier cooled Canon DSLR he had attached to the scope.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went yesterday, and to quote Wallace and Gromit. "It was a Grand Day Out"

I didn't spend any money. But had I won Fridays euromillions draw. I could have really had a great day.

My eye caught a TS 120 on the Ian King stand. But I also saw any number of mouth watering toy's. 

What I found most impressive about this show. How spacious it is. It was nice walking around, not having to bump into people when looking at equipment.

I will continue to go back to this event from now on.

Unlike AF in February. It is easier to get to, in my opinion.

I think if you know you want an NEQ6 it's best to buy one online; the boxes for these are vast and it would fill up half of the van for any retailer - there won't be much room to move on price either. Unless a mount has been a return or ex-display model I think it is unlikely a retailer will be carrying stock of such large items at these shows, unless you'd areanged in advance for a retailer to bring one along.

James

What did strike me was the number of high end cars at the show.

The undercover parking area looked like a Mayfair garage in London to me.

Lots of spending power looked to be on show.

Or maybe it was the exhibitors car park.... but then ask anyone in the business and they will claim there is little or no money to be made in astronomy :tongue:

Or maybe it was the exhibitors car park.... but then ask anyone in the business and they will claim there is little or no money to be made in astronomy :tongue:

Hmmmm, they were altogether at the front, first ones in.

What did strike me was the number of high end cars at the show.

The undercover parking area looked like a Mayfair garage in London to me.

Lots of spending power looked to be on show.

You must be thinking of Astrofest in London, there was no underground car park at IAS. 

I visited IAS Friday, I had trouble finding the main car park so my 'Toyota Auris' was parked some distance away. 

Steve :smile: 

The signage could have been better. I drove around the site for a while and eventually went back out and back in again to ask the man in the gate house where to go.

I remember there is a posher exhibition hall on the site. I've been to trade shows there. I guess it's more expensive. It may be too large too.

You must be thinking of Astrofest in London, there was no underground car park at IAS. 

I visited IAS Friday, I had trouble finding the main car park so my 'Toyota Auris' was parked some distance away. 

The parking was under cover right next to the show hall  , no-one mentioned underground ...  :rolleyes:

As the new boss of Meade was there , along with "Mr Skywatcher" and "Mr Celestron" I wasn't surprised to see some tidy motors in there ...  :p

Can't think of what drugs I would need to be on, to confuse Saturdays show with Astrofest............. :grin:

Yes, signage annoyed me as well, randomly drove round the site for 10 minutes before I gave up and asked someone.

Was I the only one there who walked in and out of the dome observatory set-up on someones stand several times before I had to slap myself back into reality as the chances of the wife letting me have one in the back garden are significantly less than zero :D.

I attended on the Friday and felt it was missing something from the previous year. I can't really put my finger on what it was that was missing. There just seemed too be more of a buzz last year. I picked up a flip mirror at a reasonable price. The talks I went to didn't really impress me, but that's life I guess-everyone is wise in retrospect. I think if I had also attended on the saturday I may have felt more of the 'buzz' due to higher attendance. I was also a little disappointed FLO weren't there but can't be helped I guess. 

I went on Friday driving 100 miles from Berkshire and thought it was well worth the effort. The fact that it was hosted in a glorified cow shed didn't in any way detract from the marvellous vendor displays nor my inclination to spend serious money. Astrofest for me is just as interesting but way too crowded to be trully enjoyable. Roll on next year.

Alma, it was just a cow; it wasn't even glorified :) but like you that wasn't even a consideration.

I suspect the lack of a buzz people are referring to on the Friday does relate to the fact it wasn't busy at all. For me that is an added bonus, not at all a criticism - fewer people the better :)

Catman, I will try harder to keep you more entertained at the IAS next year :)

James

Archived