Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mosaic of Heart & Soul Nebulas IC1805 and IC1848, mono Ha

Barry-Wilson

Spent the best part of half a day processing my Ha data in this 4 pane mosaic, 8 hours total integration.  With this beautiful moon it'll be a couple of weeks (maybe a little less) before I can collect the OIII and SII.

• Tak FSQ85EDX with reducer at F3.9
  • Avalon Linear FR
  • QSI 683wsg-8
  • Astrodon 5nm Ha
  • captured with SGP and processed in PI

Mosaics are hard work, but ever so rewarding!  Hi res, http://astrob.in/214464/0/

C&C always welcome.

Barry

post-28392-0-97010700-1443387908_thumb.j

Beautifully done. Perfect framing and seamless construction. Control of the brightnesses is right on the money.

I agree on mosaics. The trouble is that, from a satisfaction point of view, anything else is less. I've come to regard single frame images as some kind of cop-out, which is totally illogical but the idea is lodged in my head!

Olly

Beautiful image Barry, I love a good mosaic! As Olly has said, there's something special about capturing all of a target in a mosaic, even with a wide field setup like you're using. I ALSO agree with you that making mosaics is hard! Rewarding, but hard.

Very much looking forward to seeing the full narrowband version of this.

Phil

Beautifully done. Perfect framing and seamless construction. Control of the brightnesses is right on the money.

I agree on mosaics. The trouble is that, from a satisfaction point of view, anything else is less. I've come to regard single frame images as some kind of cop-out, which is totally illogical but the idea is lodged in my head!

Olly

Thanks Olly.  I was surprised with the uniform gradients in the 4 panes as I had been capturing over the last couple weeks (along with NGC7822) so I had increasing moonlight with the later frames.  PI's DBE when executed well really does flatten out the background.

You're right about the potential mosaic 'addiction'.  I have contemplated the FS60 or one of the small Borg's as a dedicated widefield OTA to reduce the effort; but of course it is exactly the effort in a large mosaic that brings such great satisfaction.  Just thinking about your 400hr+ mosaic . . . .

Stunning image.

Can't wait for the full NB image

Sarge.

Me too, but will need to wait for this 'super moon' to lessen.  I woke up this morning at 2am to gauge the weather and see if I could grab a dslr shot with my 300mm zoom - no joy in Totnes, all cloud.

Splendid image Barry!

:grin:

Fantastic image Barry

Thanks Toxic.

Magnificent, Barry. Looking forward to the colour version!

Regards

John

Thanks John.  We've had a good long-ish Indian summer through September and I've seen folk posting some great images this month.

That's wonderful Barry. I look forward to seeing the colour version.

Thanks Steve.  This image has the potential to be my longest integartion time if I gather equal amounts of OIII and SII (weather permitting): 24 hours in total.  Plenty of work to do compiling the mosaic too . . .

Archived