NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-watcher 150 Esprit

Hi all I am totally new here so this is my first post.

I recently ordered and received a Sky-watcher  Esprit 150 supposedly a top of the range Sky-watcher scope.

Picked the scope up last Saturday only to return it on Monday due to foreign matter inside the lens cell.  See image attached.

It is easy to see that there is a white spec inside but zoom in and you can see lots of smaller stuff.  Has anyone else experienced this problem.

I am hoping this is a one off and the new replacement will not have any contamination in what is essentially a sealed unit.

Surely these expensive scopes are assembled in a clean room and tested before shipping.

I have also had trouble trying to establish what is shipped in the box with the Sky-watcher Esprit in the UK as it is very different to the US.

But that is another story.

post-47052-0-59934500-1443029225.jpg

post-47052-0-86547800-1443029236.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello There,

That is though very unusual, that as you call "foreign matter inside the lens cel" is in your new scope! though I did never buy any scope from SKywatcher.. but from other manufactorer... But even if you should receive your scope without any "foreign matter inside the lens cel", getting few till many foreign matters into your scope, is only a matter of TIME !!

But question, is that a scratch ? or is it dust  or stain ?

If not scratch.. then you must anyway get rid of the Foreign Matters with taking FLats..

My scope is almost double worth than the ESPRIT and it also has  few FOREIGN MATTERS..

At the moment the scops leave the factory "clean room" are subject to be invaded by FOREIGN MATTERS..

Regards and have a great evening..

Martin

Hello and welcome to the forum :smiley:

I've only bought a couple of my scopes new but they were both immaculate when they arrived, optically and cosmetically. They cost a lot less than the Esprit 150 too !

I'd ask the dealer for a replacement unit without a doubt.

The large speck should not be there. It won't affect the view, but might be of influence on the resale value.

I downloaded the image to have a closer look. The yellow arrows point at some tiny specks I found. They seem insignificant in any way.

The red arrow points at what looks like a small thread of dust. It's out of focus. Is that on the outside of the glass?

post-38669-0-87537600-1443036913.jpg

I don't know what to advise you, but for the large speck I would contact the vendor/manufacturer. It's an awesome telescope by the way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Wish your problem to be solved asap. It's not right to spend that kind of money only to return it back when you receive it. In any case I want to believe that this is a rare case.

Clear skies. :laugh:

Hi Peter and welcome to SGL. An unhappy start to your membership of the forum with your first post, very nice scopes the Espirit range, but the fact remains, telescopes bought at that price range, should not have foreign matter as passengers in the objective glass, one that possibly has slipped through their quality control. You were obviously unhappy about it, so without question you were correct in returning it to your dealer, enjoy the forum :)

:angry4: Update.  Received a replacement telescope Sunday.  Lens seems reasonably clean but three accessory items are missing.  

The scope had been out of it's box and I had to remove fingerprints from the scope tube.  Also dew shield lining was pealing of slightly.

This scope may be an excellent design but on my experience to date I would avoid it.  

If replacement parts cannot be secured today and a flattener sourced then I hope to return it.

I have now lost confidence in this scope.

This whole experience has be soured.

Any suggestions on a better buy?

:angry4: Update.  Received a replacement telescope Sunday.  Lens seems reasonably clean but three accessory items are missing.  

The scope had been out of it's box and I had to remove fingerprints from the scope tube.  Also dew shield lining was pealing of slightly.

The OP has not mentioned the supplier and I have received three emails from SGL members pointing me to this thread so I hope he doesn't mind me saying, to anyone who is reading this and wondering, it was not sourced from us  :angel:

Steve 

Hi Peter and welocme to SGL.

Sorry to read you are having bad luck with your 'new' scope. Get in contact with your local Citizens Advice Bureau/Trading Standards asap. If you paid with credit card, they maybe able to cancel or freeze the payment(s) + interest owed until it is rectified with your dealer/retailer/supplier.

Thank your again for your responses.

All sorted.  Have had a full refund but this leaves me where I started.

Any advice welcome on the best alternative refractor.  

Am considering the Explore Scientific ED APO 152mm f7.9 Carbon Fibre but the focuser has not had the best reveiws.

Real shame Sky-watcher let themselves down on Quality Control.

The supplier was not at fault here and as much a victim as myself.

Have decided on a replacement the "Explore Scientific 152 Carbon Fibre.  See link below:

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/Explore-Scientific-ED-APO-152mm-Carbon-fibre.html

Around the same price with all accessories available and clearly listed on their website.  Lighter due to carbon fibre low expansion a bonus.

This is a major investment for me so I hope I have got it right this time.

Anyone out there have one?

Archived