Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way over Durdle Door, 6th September 2015

Top one is ISO 3200 and bottom one 1600. At 3200 there is quite a bit of noise which I reduced somewhat in Lightroom. Aperture us f3.5 and exposure of a minute for the bottom one and 30s for the top one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic images mate great foreground location aswell.

What 10mm lens is it?

Sorry if you have the lense in your sig but I can't see it on mobile

It's the Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens.

I tried using my flashgun to brighten the arch but with limited effect due to its distance. I used Lightroom's Magic brush to lighten it instead, but need to be careful of overuse.

This photo (the unenhanced version) was shown on ITV Meridian Weather last night.

Well caught, even with the lights ( of Poole and Bournemouth I'm guessing)

Poole and Bournemouth are to the east and this is facing south. The tip of Portland bill is to the right and some of the lights are ships in the Channel. The orange glow on the horizon may be from Cherbourg or other parts of Northern France, but I may be wrong.

Lovely images. Out of interest how did you get accurate focus? I always struggle with this.

Peter

The Canon 10-22mm lens has a large depth of field so doesn't need to be accurately focused and can be set on infinity using the focus ring and hoping for the best! In this case, I could focus on the arch whilst still light and then put on manual focus.

Thanks. From my back garden (or front) there is nothing far enough away that I can focus on.

Peter

If you have a camera with LiveView or equivalent, where you can use the LCD panel instead of the viewfinder, then you can centre a bright star in the centre, if necessary at a high ISO, and zoom in on it with digital zoom. Then use the manual focus ring until the star is as small and sharp as you can make it.

At the moment Vega and Altair should be bright enough to focus on first.

Archived