NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"Bow tie nebula ", let's dance !

cotterless45

Murky skies didn't look promising, but an achro with a bit of aperture punches it's weight through.

First surprise , the lovely NGC 40 "Bow Tie nebula" a grey glowing halo strung between stars in Draco. Taking over x200 it is a stunning sight.

Just a parting view of old favourite Cygnus targets, signs of UHC nebulosity in the Veil. Same for NGC 6888 and IC 5146, NGC 6826 blinking well at x50.

NGC 6940 is a stunning open cluster , better than M39. The Trumpler class 11r ,NGC 6819 shows a delicate and dense sight.

Down to Vulpecula and

NGC 6830 a delicate arrowhead and NGC 6823 bright stars in a delicate cloud of stars.

Over to high Pegasus and a bright orange 51 Pegasi, notable as being home to the giant Bellephoron , first Sun like star found with a planet.

Iota Trianguli showed the bright yellow and red found by William Herschel.

Mesartim in Aries showed a fine , bright and white double.

Back south to Aquarius and the bright split of zeta, separated by 1.7". m2 is still a lovely target here.

Up to Cepheus and the stunning star cloud of NGC 6939 and the long chains of NGC 7235. A great challenge is the faint averted sight of the oldest open cluster 1800 lys. from the galactic chain.

NGC 752 is a lovely cluster with some challenging fainter stars.

Later I caught the bright streak of the NGC 1023 , a bright Perseus galaxy caught by ze triangle of stars. I caught the bright NGC 5866 galaxy in Draco as a long streak at x120.

Then the wonderful open clusters of Lacerta, in order of looking stunning at x50,

NGC 7209 rings of stars , a small bright tree.

NGC 7243 trials of star dust and brighter stars.

IC 1434 a dusty sight in a packed fov.

NGC 7296 an arrow head of clouds and a ring.

IC 1442 a dusky cluster in a black field.

NGC 7245 dusty and expansive.

NGC 7394 a dozen sloping stars.

Berkeley96 showed a small dense circulet.

High clouds and a fading Moon cut short a lovely chilly session, good hunting !

Nick.

Nice report Nick, as ever. I know you like your doubles so might be worth looking at Zeta Piscium over the next night or 2; lovely double that has the advantage of having Uranus in the same field at the moment. You really get to see the subtle metallic greeny blue of Uranus against them.

Paul

Nick I am glad you mentioned the Bow Tie because this is one of the brighter PNs that I need to view. Last night was very clear and transparent so I went looking with the Orion VX8. I am glad I had the Uranometria star atlas for star hopping - but I found it. I am really surprise how clear and easy it was to view. So thanks for the Heads Up.

Archived