Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Something new in 152.

ollypenrice

VDB152 is the attractive blue reflection nebula at the end of the dust column. Above and to its left is the tongue-tripping planetary nebula PNG111.0+11.6 which houses a blue star-like object which, it seems, may be a shell from the PN rather than a star, though here it's tiny. While I've seen hints of the Ha streak running up from VDB152 before I hadn't seen the extended Ha below and right of it. There's more structure in this Ha streak than I'd expected.

I was hoping to treble the Ha tonight but some clouds are heading our way from Ms Wager's direction in Spain. I'm not blaming her, of course, but it's noted, Sara, noted!  :grin: And we do know why this has happened!!

So for now we have an older Twin Tak LRGB image to which a few hours Lum from the TEC140 have been added to tighten up 152. The Ha and OIII came from last night, 11x30 minutes per scope. Whether we go back for more Ha will depend on guests and my co-conspirators Yves and Tom.

Bigger https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-67T3xJ2/0/X3/VDB152%20HaOIIILRGB%20web-X3.jpg

Biggest https://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-67T3xJ2/0/O/VDB152%20HaOIIILRGB%20web.jpg

VDB152%20HaOIIILRGB%20web-L.jpg

Cheers,

Olly

Amazing image, so much to look at, and your eyes are drawn to something different every time you look at it,

That's what makes this image great in my opinion

Paul j

Lovely composition again. It's like someone has taken a thumb to VdB 152 and smeared it across the sky. The line of Ha is intriguing. There is more up there as this image shows, but it was taken by a 4m research telescope.

Strewth, it shows you what we poor amateurs can't do! Sob.

:crybaby2: lly

I like this Olly - Definitely worth a look with a larger scope. Sorry for the clouds............. I have no idea why they are there, but we've just had the mother of all storms if that makes you feel any better :D

Spookily, was only reading about this area 24hrs ago, particularly object HH450. More Ha may show up areas of interaction along the SNR filaments, so I would certainly vote for that. Much appreciate the posting.

Ray 

Wow, very nice.. PLEEEAAASSSEEEE give this more time! :) To me this image is just begging to get more integration time! The whole fov is so interesting with all the patches of dark dust and the contrasting red and blue makes this just a great image! 

Wow, very nice.. PLEEEAAASSSEEEE give this more time! :) To me this image is just begging to get more integration time! The whole fov is so interesting with all the patches of dark dust and the contrasting red and blue makes this just a great image! 

I'm inclined to do so. However, since there is nothing much that we can resolve in narrowband at this focal length I'm not sure how much difference more data will make. When you're dealing with a faint streak like this you can noise reduce it, stretch it to screaming point, noise reduce it again and it looks truly horrible. Until you apply it to red in blend mode lighten and then it looks remarkably healthy. Trust me, you wouldn't want to look at either the Ha or OIII layers for this. They are hideous. But their job is to lighten their colour channels in just a few tiny places and that they can do. If the meteo had been better I'd have waited to post till I'd trebled the Ha. Yes, it would be worth a pop, you're right!

By the way, in a senior moment I forgot one of my simple Ha enhancement routines (routine? One click!) and this popped the Ha a bit more. Getting extreme though...

VDB152%20HaOIIILRGB%20final%202-L.jpg

Olly

I understand your point in regards to the ha... i think the dust however can benefit from more time so it gets 'separated' from the background even more, also in the fainter regions. (seems like there is dust all over the fov)

But it's an amazing image already, dont get me wrong! I truly love it!

A very beautiful and interesting object and image. This is way beyond the capability of the average UK based imagers. Interesting to note the unusual, Blue, Green, Yellow and Ha wavebands used to image this with the large research telescope.

Regards,

A.G

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed, Olly.  I imaged B175 (the dusty bit) along with the bright tip of VdB152, last October, but the planetary was out of field (760 mm fl, QSI683).  On my 'Minor Catalogue' Gallery page.  No sign at all of the supernova remnant, but I didn't know about it, so no Ha.  I guess another look is in order with a wider angle.  But in my close up (at the same angle as your image), as I stated at the time to me it strongly resembles a horse's foreleg, complete with a shiny horseshoe and 'feathers' - horsey people will know what I mean. How about (with tongue in cheek for the famous cousin) naming it the 'Horse Leg' Nebula?

Cheers,

Peter

Archived