Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Astro

Spacedout

Crikey just seen this post in the Astro Lounge!  I posted this in Retailers and as I'd not seen it appear assumed I'd broken a rule and it had been binned by the mods.  Anyway, I can confirm I have since heard back from Altair and have had frequent emails from both Ian and Nick who has been particularly helpful.  I was frustrated with the lack of response initially but since writing this post and I'm now very reassured and will most likely be buying my new set up from them very soon.  For those who have had a similar experience I's say keep trying as they are probably just snowed under  :embarrassed:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke with Ian at Altair just a few days ago and purchased my new focuser which arrived promptly the next day. I've been to the shop before and Nick was extremely helpful. In the last their email contact had take some time but they normally get back to me. As for the phones that can be hit and miss as there's normally just the one of them in the shop trying to do everything. I have bought a lot o stuff from them and it's always been top quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Message from Ian today Hi Jaspal, this email probably went into the spam folder or most likely the customer tried to call with an invisible phone no or after 4pm so we didn't answer it. We get around 20x calls a day we don't answer due to no caller ID but if we pick up the phone it's usually ppi

I'll see if I can de-spec the spam system, but last time I tried that we were inundated in seconds with junk mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have purchased £2500 worth of Altair Astro equipment this year so far. The equipment is well made and works a treat.

Before I purchased, I did research on the company and their customer service was a definite bad mark, so I bought from one of their dealers called Tring Astro Centre.

I visited Neil and Jane at Tring, coffee and biscuits are a big plus in customer care, they gets loads of phone calls and emails too. (and they have sacks of mail to be dealt with as well!)

I purchased my Altair gear from Neil....

I had a slight problem with the eyepiece locking ring on the scope, Neil immediately changed it for another one. The advantage of using Tring Astro is that any problems with your purchase is their responsibility and they respond quickly and very effectively.

I wish Altair Astro well, I believe they are genuinely busy, so maybe it is time for them to decide their main business priorities, i.e. are they a supplier or a retailer.... if they decide on being a retailer customer care becomes extremely important and from all accounts needed to beefed up, because each unanswered enquiry is a possible lost sale to them and people who were interested in their products, become uninterested and buy alternative gear, a loss to both Altair Astro and their dealers.

I intend to purchase some more Altair Astro gear in the coming months, but it will be purchased from Tring Astro.

Remember, Tring Astro are currently on holiday..... will be back next week.

All the best.

Adrian

I've bought a couple of times before directly from AA which went through well but also their products I've bought from Tring Astro which IMHO have excellent customer service (I did notice they are on hols through!).  I noticed Rother Valley Optics (also fantastic customer service) have also started selling AA products as well.

• 3 months later...

I have just had experience with their lack of communications, I wont go into details but after 2 weeks of trying pm, email, phone and their contact form on their website I eventually got a response via pm. Apparently the communication problems they have been having for years has still not been addressed.

I got the impression that if youve bought something off them, their job is done, go join a support group and ask other people if you want help or advice

I bought from one of their dealers called Tring Astro Centre.

I visited Neil and Jane at Tring, coffee and biscuits are a big plus in customer care, they gets loads of phone calls and emails too. (and they have sacks of mail to be dealt with as well!)

I purchased my Altair gear from Neil....

I had a slight problem with the eyepiece locking ring on the scope, Neil immediately changed it for another one. The advantage of using Tring Astro is that any problems with your purchase is their responsibility and they respond quickly and very effectively.

I've just bought an Altair 'scope from Tring, and I concur with the welcome and service. Fortunately for me, Tring Astro are not too far away to visit in person, which is so much better than web ordering. The only problem is that they can't promise clear nights to try out the gear when you get home :wink2: .

Ian

If they are getting 20 of PPI calls a day they need to register the telephone numbers with the TPS:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/mobile/index.html

In fact if they are just getting one a week they need to register with them.

James

Oh yes and I got that reason as well for them not returning my call. Apparently they had 20 calls that day, 5 of them being no caller id. Strange though I was able to leave a message with my phone no for them to call.

So that problem hasnt been addressed either.

I get the feeling they want to be left alone

I think they have aspirations of just being a distributor and not dealing directly with customers and supplying indirectly through retailers. Trouble is they are in a sort of half way house, still taking orders directly but not providing the customer service to go along with it in my experience.

I think they have aspirations of just being a distributor and not dealing directly with customers and supplying indirectly through retailers. Trouble is they are in a sort of half way house, still taking orders directly but not providing the customer service to go along with it in my experience.

products are too hit and miss in my opinion. swore black and blue there was no issues with my first 'scope but I would not take it back so they sent a new one. although not 100% happy it was clearly better than the first. even one of their salesmen said there was clearly problems with it.

It's good to read about issues that people are having / have had with suppliers / retailers for sure as you can make a far more informed choice all round. SGL are always really hot on 'supplier bashing' - Am I the only one that feels that this thread is very much this? 

I have no axe to grind with AA either way as I don't buy from them.

If no one feels this is supplier bashing then my apologies.

I dont agree Sara, there are comments from both people who have had problems and those who havent, I think its pretty mixed. If there are more negative experiences than positive then something may be wrong. Its more feedback than bashing

Archived