Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Broken bins, can these be fixed?

DazC

My bins took a 7' fall last night. They were in their carry case with lens covers on.

But they did take a nasty knock.

post-18718-0-87696000-1437215489_thumb.j

post-18718-0-57191600-1437215558_thumb.j

post-18718-0-41517100-1437215633_thumb.j

As I said, it was a nasty knock!

I am fully expecting them not to be repairable because of alignment issues and so on, but if anyone has been able to repair a pair of bins that have been damaged in this way, any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

D.C

Unless the front unit unscrews from the body then no real chance.

If it does unscrew and if you can get the threaded end section out then since you have nothing to lose I would take it out, position the 2 faces together correctly and mark them somehow around the edge.

Mix up some araldite and put a light coating on the mating faces and then bring them together.

Clamp them somehow, the 2 sections will need some form of clamping even if it is just elastic stretched over to apply a steady force, and leave to set, overnight.

You do not want a lot of goo mainly as you want the surfaces to join as flat as you can.

How long it would last (if it works) I have no idea, these front bits are long and prone to knocks.

To me the main point is they are broke, you cannot do any harm and if you have the adhesive and the time give it a go.

I would avoid super glue, it sets too fast and if not aligned/positioned right you do not have any wiggle period to make adjustments.

I would try a fix, thats my nature, but to me, they would never be the same, and reduces their value?

If your Celestrons were good and you want like for like, maybe your household insurance could cover the accidental damage, but there maybe an excess to pay. If you think you could have better, nows your opportunity!

Thanks ronin, I'll see what I've got knocking around in the shed and see what I can do.

As you said, no harm in trying, they're already broken.

Thanks again.

D.C

• 1 month later...

Good luck with the fix. If it doesn't work out then consider making yourself a mega finder out of the objective, works very well. I bought a pair of broken 20x80's off Astroboot and did just that.

got to agree there!  Accidents do happen but given the nature of our interests it's amazing what some people can do with parts of damaged 'kit'.  I'd suggest take this to the DIY thread and see what suggestions could be made there.

michael

Just one small point with the araldite. When the parts are together warm with a hair drier. It lets the resin run a little easier. But don't get it too hot.

It also speeds up the curing, but I would still leave it over night.

cheers

gaj

Even if you manage to retrieve the threaded section and glue it back together, the 7' drop would have most likely knocked the prisms out of alligment so they would also need collimating.

+1 for making a super finder and treating yourself to some new bins :) 

Archived