Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help deciding on new Dob

So here's my dilemma...

I'm ready to upgrade from my very basic starter Celestron 127eq scope to a bigger, better one. I'm looking at either the Orion XT8 or the Orion XT10. According to the specs,they both have the same maximum usable magnification of 300x. The limiting magnitude is 14.2 for the XT8 and 14.7 for the XT10. Does a .5 increase in magnitude really make that much of a difference? Obviously the 8 weighs less than the 10. Roughly 15 pounds less. The 8 is $200 USD cheaper than the 10. This is only my second scope. I want it to be good, and get used a lot. I also don't want to go overboard on my second scope. I feel personally that the 8 is my better option. But at the same time, I feel like I'm cheating myself out of 2 extra inches of diameter. Just need some friendly advice to help push me along. Also if you have reasons why one is better than the other, please voice that. If you think both scopes are Rubbish and I could get a better visual only observing dob for the price, I'd consider those too. Thanks everyone!

Hi YA Cc, Both the scopes you've mentioned are very nice scopes and either would be an asset to use, you will see a greater increase using the 10 than the 8, the 8 just a little bigger than the 127 you already have, the .5 difference in limiting Mag will only benefit you from much darker skies, a lot depends on where you will do most of your observing, under dark skies both the scope you are looking at will perform very well, its when you observe under light polluted skies the differences between the two scopes will become really the same - so not any real difference because of the light pollution - really making the fainter objects much harder to see - its contrast we are all after and light polluted skies really do make contrast VERY difficult, so the .5 mag will probably not be noticeable, because, light pollution for me, in a built up area - does make the majority of the objects like Galaxies, just smudges of "mist" especially when the larger more diffuse Galaxies are really pushing my observing from just about detectable with no real structure to having to increase Mag slightly and sweeping the area just to spot them - You'll find the smaller brighter objects - Galaxies, Planetary Nebula do much better under light polluted skies - so the majority of the Messier's will be doable depending on your local light pollution - but under much darker skies the contrast per object increases.

Both the scopes will be a real pleasure to use - if it were me deciding - I'd go for the 10 slightly more aperture - it will hold higher Mags better - this will be of benefit to you when the Planets and Moon are around - especially Jupiter - If you spend a good deal of time just observing Jupiter the 10 will make for better rewards, being just able to increase Mag making for a much brighter image due to the light grasp of the larger mirror.

Paul.

The 8"will give you a minimum power of 29x at max exit pupil (7mm) and the 10" will provide 36x at the same exit pupil. As you can see the image scale of the 10" will be more favourable. 

Basically the 10" scope will give you an extended object  that covers four times the area that your 5" scope does at the same surface brightness. Thats an impressive upgrade. The 8" will manage somewhere a little over halfway between. 

For me the above makes this is a no brainer. Get the 10"

I have the skyliner 8" and have had it for just over a year, it is /was my first scope purchase and I have been pleased with it.

I am already looking at upgrading to a larger scope.... That says alot.

Quoting from the Poor man's astronomy website again "Buy the biggest affordable scope you can easily carry around."

The 10 is the way I think I'll go. I'd be very happy with either. I don't want to spend $400 just to spend $600-$800 a year or two later. I found a Zhumell Z10 and its only $500 and comes with more accessories. All reviews I've read suggest they're practically the same scope. Just different manufacturers. Still a 10 inch and more accessories sound like fun. It comes with a laser collimator! No big deal, but it saves me money! Thank you all for your help! If something happens where for some reason I can't afford the extra $100, I'd have no issue getting the 8. Thanks again! You guys really helped

Zhumell, Revelation (in the UK), Telescope Services (Germany) and Meade Lightbridge's are all made by GSO sharing the same mirrors and mirror cells. Probably a number of other brands worldwide as well. Synta (who make the Skywatchers) also make many Orion (USA) and Celestron scopes.

In the 10" aperture the focal ratio of the GSO made scopes is a little slower than the Synta made ones - F/5 rather than F/4.7 and a focal length of 1250mm v's 1200mm. Small differences and all decent scopes. Pick the one you can get the best deal on.

The 10 is the way I think I'll go. I'd be very happy with either. I don't want to spend $400 just to spend $600-$800 a year or two later. I found a Zhumell Z10 and its only $500 and comes with more accessories. All reviews I've read suggest they're practically the same scope. Just different manufacturers. Still a 10 inch and more accessories sound like fun. It comes with a laser collimator! No big deal, but it saves me money! Thank you all for your help! If something happens where for some reason I can't afford the extra $100, I'd have no issue getting the 8. Thanks again! You guys really helped

There are some extremely dark skies in Minnesota, which can make larger dobs light up. Are you close to these dark pockets of sky?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not in badly light polluted skies at all. Just to the south about 35 miles away, the twin cities kill anything in the southern sky. If I go about 20 miles north, I'm golden. On another note, can anybody find me a website in the US that has the Zhumell Z10 in stock? I swear I saw one the other day. I've lost it since then.

Why not drop Zhumell a line or give them a ring? They'll more than likely be able to put you in the right direction :smiley:

P.S: buying a 10" was one of the best moves I've ever made in this hobby. It really does open up the night sky and is a breeze to set up and move around. All things being equal and under one's given circumstances, a 10" would be worth saving up for.

After some searching I found them for only $469!! (USD) That has to be a steal! It's almost $150 cheaper than the Orion XT10 AND it comes with more stuff, (including a laser collimator.) I'll be ordering within the next month or two! Very excited!

After some searching I found them for only $469!! (USD) That has to be a steal! It's almost $150 cheaper than the Orion XT10 AND it comes with more stuff, (including a laser collimator.) I'll be ordering within the next month or two! Very excited!

Did you find this online? I've been trying to find some decent vendors and would greatly appreciate it if you shared!!

Alexgopro, it's Binoculars(dot)com. It's the 10 inch. I've never ordered from them, but reviews are good.

That explains the price. The 10" ones are still over $500 here though.

They will likely still have them  :smiley:

Now the question is, is the Synka truss worth $300 more than the GSO tube.. 

I would think a truss has more potential for getting dirty, but might be easier to clean out? Hard to say not having had one. 

only a 15 pound weight difference, not life and death really. 

Archived