Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moved to Imaging - or is it ....???

Spacedout

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er okay well I guess you can't please everyone....  Either way we are no longer stuck at the bottom of the site and the further up the VA section is the more who will learn about it.  Now that has to be a good thing which ever way you observe it :)  

I don't really feel strongly about it either way except that anyone who is basically into observing and simply wants to see more using EAA might not look under imaging. But being higher up always helps. One wonders whether we were getting too unscientific to be included under science  :smiley:  or maybe the science category is being depopulated.

Martin

Me neither Martin I'm really not hung up the description of VA/EEA and to be honest it's not easy to describe.  It could be electronic viewing or super fast imaging.  Yes you are right though VA would be of more interest to observers and it's higher up the list :)

Best wishes

Karl

Was there a explanation for this move or did it just happen?

It's probably better placed under imaging than science, but imaging or observing? I would probably plump for observing, but would prefer that we have a separate section like Microscopy,  ie:

EAA - General Discussion

EAA - Observing Reports (textual descriptions and/or screen captures)

EAA - Equipment Discussions

Ironically Cloudy Nights have their EAA section under Equipment which I find confusing. There has been a LONG thread on CN about the title and descrioption of their forum (which, ironically again, is called 'EAA' although it is dominated by video camera users, whereas SGL is called VIdeo Astronomy but has more Lodestar Users from what I can see). Given the fractious debate on CN it seems the whole subject of naming/describing and categorising is a very emotive one for some reason!

Hello Robert  :grin:   I think it just happened.  I like your idea with having our own section and it makes perfect sense to me plus if in alphabetical order this would put us just above equipment!  Might be one to request with admin.

I agree with with karl, it,s a step in the right direction and of course it may not suit all,look at it as a transition from being the poor relation to long exposure imaging,,we now have super fast imaging in the imaging section, but it does not stop there with video,even though va is still in it's infancy and promoted by the likes of shevill mathers for many many years,the technology is here for all to grasp.

we all have seen big changes in the climate and long exposure imaging has become harder to do in certain areas of the country if not the world this I believe has made many look at video astronomy and try and learn this newer section of astronomy,guys like myself have hammered and banged on about video technology on hear for years,,,it's has finaly arrived on the scene big time and many have been taken back by it's speed and tv progs like sky at night are using video astronomy to show the wonders of the night sky,,the sky at night magazine last month done a write up on the mallincam a great step forward for all in va.... embrace it guys sometimes advancement has casualties a good friend and fantastic video astronomer was one..davy

Hi Karl! Yes, hopefully other members will chip in with their thoughts and if the idea gets some traction then a request to admin should be made. I'm just waiting for someone to point out the glaring loophole in the logic!!  :grin: 

easy guys,admin are trying there best to try and promote v/a and will listen to constructive comments,this isn't cloudy nights,,were all here to promote v/a and diluting the va members pool here wont help.davy

easy guys,admin are trying there best to try and promote v/a and will listen to constructive comments,this isn't cloudy nights,,were all here to promote v/a and diluting the va members pool here wont help.davy

Hi Davy, just so I understand where you are coming from, can you explain what you mean by "diluting the VA member's pool"? Thanks

Rob

Hi Davy, just so I understand where you are coming from, can you explain what you mean by "diluting the VA member's pool"? Thanks

Hi guys, I have no idea where this is leading but be VERY aware that this thread is on the moderator's radar and not least mine. VA just got a well deserved promotion - enjoy it and contribute to it positively and in the spirit of the SGL community.

Hi Steppenwolf (and other admins). Please do not take this as a negative criticism but I am a recent convert to this aspect of astronomy coming over from pure visual observng due in the main to light polution. My interest is mainly to be able to sit on my lazy backside and slew my scope around the skies and view from the comfort of indoors which will be better than achievable from standing in the back garden.

Anyway, from that description I don't necessarily see myself as an imager although thats not to say I wont take the odd video and stack. So I am an observer with a passing interest in the odd image. That said there are always camera phone pics from observers appearing all over the forum so I guess from that standpoint most of us have a passing interest in imaging.

So would it be worthwhile considering some sort of signpost or link from observing section to point other would be video observers like me in the right direction, just a thought.

cheer, steve

One of the reasons that this thread is of particular interest to the mods is to gauge interest and potentially seek a direction in which to proceed so the pros and cons of 'Observing' versus 'Imaging' is already in further discussion.

One of the reasons that this thread is of particular interest to the mods is to gauge interest and potentially seek a direction in which to proceed so the pros and cons of 'Observing' versus 'Imaging' is already in further discussion.

Thanks for the clarification Steve, that's good to know.

btw, there was no criticism of the mods intended from my earlier comment, although I can see how that could have been inferred, anything which promotes VA/EAA is greatfully received.

Let's try this :)

Video Astronomy, now has it's very own sub-section, right inbetween Imaging and Observing - that sounds about right to me?

You should take up politics - 2nd thoughts don't - you listened :evil: 

IMHO I like the compromise - Video Astronomy describes it nicely 

Let's try this :)

Video Astronomy, now has it's very own sub-section, right inbetween Imaging and Observing - that sounds about right to me?

..... and there you have it, Admin, Mods and Members all working together - it really is as simple as that! :grin: :grin:

..... and there you have it, Admin, Mods and Members all working together - it really is as simple as that! :grin: :grin:

Not quite sure how that happened...   but I can assure we are working on the problem and won't let it happen again :)

Not quite sure how that happened...   but I can assure we are working on the problem and won't let it happen again :)

You should have made sure the backdoor was bolted before coming to answer the doorbell.... :evil::grin:

Anyhow...To all our VA's, EAO's whatever you want to call yourselves -  Congrats on you new section - Enjoy... :grin:

Perhaps it's time for a quote...

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. - John Lydgate...

Peter...

Archived