Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where do I get Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)????

Hello,

Does anyone know where its possible to get Isopropyl alcohol (or IPA) that's 90% or better in the UK, please?

I tried Boots, Superdrug, and two other independent pharmacies, but each of their respective pharmicists either looked at me as if I was asking for heroin :(, or promptly said that they didn't sell the thing.i

Given that this_is "rubbing alcohol" we're talking about, I'm not confident that even if they did tell me that they do have this, that they'd be able to, or be honest in telling me that its 90% + or not :D

Anyone bought this recently?

Regards,

astro84

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pharmacist at my local boots had that "We don't hear that one often" look on his face, but got a bottle ordered for the next day, at the outlandish price of £6 (500ml).

But I've seen links posted for stuff on eBay that were much cheaper. Someone will follow with the link shortly, I'm sure!

Andrew

You get the ultra pure stuff on Ebay, why do you want it anyway? If it's to clean a mirror then pop along to your local tropical/marine shop and see if they sell RO water. It's 99.9999 odd percent pure water and dries without leaving a trace! I feel much more comfortable washing my mirror in water than alcohol :(

I get mine from a local Co-op Pharmacy, and its 98% pure or better.

Just order it one day, and get it the next.

Dave

Hi Dave,

No Co-Op pharmacy around here, that I know of..,

Will try further afield to check - thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

astro84

I'm not sure 'pure' Isopropyl is a good idea. I'm sure I read somewhere that there were health risks and it is better diluted (with distilled water) anyhow.

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you.

Yes, indeed I intend on diluting with distilled water - in the proportions advised as suitable for cleaning the front corrector of my SCT.

Thanks.

Regards,

astro84

I second Kai's recommendation. Ive got some, I used it on my glasses first, then have used it on all my gear, camera the works. The only thing I haven't used it on is the objective lens of my scope.

Astro84,

I have just spoken to my old friend who is a Hospital Pharmacist. IPA is listed on what they call the General Sales List and has no medical or ethical sales restrictions on it (she thought it might as it was an alcohol). Any Pharmacist should be able to get it for you. She suggested Boots and was genuinely surprised when I said they didn't have it.

HTH

Bill£ ;)

P.S - Be careful about buying such items from E-bay. It is a highly flammable liquid being sent through the post - some sellers may not comply with the transport of dangerous goods regulations (although small quantities may be exempt)????

Hello,

Does anyone know where its possible to get Isopropyl alcohol (or IPA) that's 90% or better in the UK, please?

I tried Boots, Superdrug, and two other independent pharmacies, but each of their respective pharmicists either looked at me as if I was asking for heroin ;), or promptly said that they didn't sell the thing.i

Given that this_is "rubbing alcohol" we're talking about, I'm not confident that even if they did tell me that they do have this, that they'd be able to, or be honest in telling me that its 90% + or not :(

Anyone bought this recently?

Regards,

astro84

I have a 250ml bottle of Ambersil IPA you can have , (unopened). Call it £5 inc postage. Just pm your details please

Sign of the times, I suppose. I must admit, my last foray into BOOTS was unsuccessful and I too received "the look". :(

Mind you, step back a generation - My Dad's best friend's Dad (a dispensing chemist) provided "two young lads" with "Saltpeter", "Flowers of Sulphur", "Carbon Black" ... I was told they got a "bit of a talking to", from the local Bobby, when they tested their "Supergun", on the local allottments. Apparently it WORKED though, blew a "U2" battery straight through some old bloke's corrugated iron shed at 50 yards! :mrgreen:

N.B. Not that I'm endorsing such things - Well, much anyway... ;)

Astro84,

I have just spoken to my old friend who is a Hospital Pharmacist. IPA is listed on what they call the General Sales List and has no medical or ethical sales restrictions on it (she thought it might as it was an alcohol). Any Pharmacist should be able to get it for you. She suggested Boots and was genuinely surprised when I said they didn't have it.

HTH

Bill£ ;)

P.S - Be careful about buying such items from E-bay. It is a highly flammable liquid being sent through the post - some sellers may not comply with the transport of dangerous goods regulations (although small quantities may be exempt)????

Hello Bill£,

Good to hear from you.., thanks for that information.

Maybe I'll try another Boots store.

Thanks again.

Regards,

astro84

I have always used IPA. I get it from my local Pharmacy no problemo. The only thing to guard against, apart from drinking the stuff, is do not inhale the fumes, especially if you are in a confined area. It is what I was advised by a chemist.

There may be advice on the container to that effect I think.

Ron. ;)

we use this stuff in the lab as a general disinfectant, and always have to be careful about the dilutions. we get ours from medical sales at 100% concentration and have to dilute it down per use, but it should be freely available, as others have said. try not to use it in a confined and unventilated space...

Archived