Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

I have a few fracs :hippy2:

Here's my latest addition, a Tak 100DC with an added FT focuser - I love it :wub:  I've been using it on a Giro III mount (which I got from @DRT) on HEQ5 legs, but given it is very lightweight that is overkill.  Pictured is it on its new GIRO WR mount which arrived today from Germany (a Christmas present, but the first attempt had to go back because of QC problems), on a Gitzo tripod.  I must admit that it is very smooth indeed when balanced and the combination is so much lighter all round - very happy :biggrin:

IMG_20170220_180846.jpgIMG_20170220_180907.jpg

My main imaging scope is also a frac a WO  FLT123, and I guide (or do wider field) with a WO Megrez 90 mounted on a Mesu (with a C11 for planetary, but we will whisper that!)

IMG_20161204_194801.jpgIMG_20161204_194701.jpg

Then there is my nostalgia scope.... the Zeiss Telementor 60mm of precision

telementor.jpg

And a Megrez 72mm for solar (photo when the adapter returns) - although this will  be superceded by a little Borg 71 as a lighter weight option for the eclipse trip..

O for clear skies to use them :huh2:

Helen

• Like 12

I will add my new(ish) arrival, although looking at Helen's collection it looks a bit lonely :)

I sold all my astro gear about 6 years ago and I promised myself that if I got the opportunity to get back into the hobby that I would buy something in between the TSA-102 and the FS-60. I think the FC-76 will be a great match for my local seeing conditions and observing preferences, I just need these clouds to depart at some point soon so I can put it to work.

IMG_0289.JPG

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I will add my new(ish) arrival, although looking at Helen's collection it looks a bit lonely :)

I sold all my astro gear about 6 years ago and I promised myself that if I got the opportunity to get back into the hobby that I would buy something in between the TSA-102 and the FS-60. I think the FC-76 will be a great match for my local seeing conditions and observing preferences, I just need these clouds to depart at some point soon so I can put it to work.

IMG_0289.JPG

That looks just lovely :biggrin:  and must be a joy to use!  

The tripod suits it so well too - I assume its a Berlebach, but if you don't mind me asking, which one and from where?

Helen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helen said:

I have a few fracs :hippy2:

Here's my latest addition, a Tak 100DC with an added FT focuser - I love it :wub:  I've been using it on a Giro III mount (which I got from @DRT) on HEQ5 legs, but given it is very lightweight that is overkill.  Pictured is it on its new GIRO WR mount which arrived today from Germany (a Christmas present, but the first attempt had to go back because of QC problems), on a Gitzo tripod.  I must admit that it is very smooth indeed when balanced and the combination is so much lighter all round - very happy :biggrin:

IMG_20170220_180846.jpgIMG_20170220_180907.jpg

My main imaging scope is also a frac a WO  FLT123, and I guide (or do wider field) with a WO Megrez 90 mounted on a Mesu (with a C11 for planetary, but we will whisper that!)

IMG_20161204_194801.jpgIMG_20161204_194701.jpg

Then there is my nostalgia scope.... the Zeiss Telementor 60mm of precision

telementor.jpg

And a Megrez 72mm for solar (photo when the adapter returns) - although this will  be superceded by a little Borg 71 as a lighter weight option for the eclipse trip..

O for clear skies to use them :huh2:

Helen

?Schhhhhmidt cassegrain! ????

"I heard that!" ?

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Helen said:

That looks just lovely :biggrin:  and must be a joy to use!  

The tripod suits it so well too - I assume its a Berlebach, but if you don't mind me asking, which one and from where?

Helen

Thank you!

Yes, it is a Berlebach Report 102. I purchased it direct from the Berlebach website, but have also purchased similar from Teleskop Express in the past. Both provided excellent customer service. For a while I thought I should have bought a more expensive Report version to give more height, but now I have the extension column I am happy with my purchase. The extension means that the scope can never hit the tripod, which I really like.

One recommendation, if you buy the tray direct from Berlebach at the same time as the tripod then don't go for the option for them to fit the brackets. They fit them higher than I have shown in the picture meaning that the tripod head is lower than it needs to be when the tray is attached. I ended up re-positioning the brackets and filling the holes :( 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, astro_al said:

Thank you!

Yes, it is a Berlebach Report 102. I purchased it direct from the Berlebach website, but have also purchased similar from Teleskop Express in the past. Both provided excellent customer service. For a while I thought I should have bought a more expensive Report version to give more height, but now I have the extension column I am happy with my purchase. The extension means that the scope can never hit the tripod, which I really like.

One recommendation, if you buy the tray direct from Berlebach at the same time as the tripod then don't go for the option for them to fit the brackets. They fit them higher than I have shown in the picture meaning that the tripod head is lower than it needs to be when the tray is attached. I ended up re-positioning the brackets and filling the holes :( 

Which extension is that by the way?

Love the scope - got the same myself :)

That blimming 200p has opened the flood gates! ;) Very nice RC though :) Do we have a Show us your RC thread? I know there's one for Mak's and SCT's, maybe it can go there?

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 3

Hastily grabbed group shot of my 4 fracs. Top to bottom, APM / TMB / LZOS 130mm F/9.2 triplet, Skywatcher ED120 ED doublet, Takahashi FC-100DL Fluorite doublet, Vixen ED102SS ED doublet. Perspective is slightly deceptive here but you get the general idea of respective sizes:

P1040869.JPG

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Wonderful John, back on track :grin:  Out the four I must say that there is something about the Tak that draws the eye!

Thanks Chris :icon_biggrin:

The Tak seems pretty skinny and folks tend to think it's an 80mm or 90mm rather than a 100. The Vixen is a fattie by comparison, even more so with that outward flare at the back end of the dew shield. I feel that I've neglected the ED120 a bit of late but it's optics compare very well with the more exotic ones in the Tak and TMB / LZOS.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks Chris :icon_biggrin:

The Tak seems pretty skinny and folks tend to think it's an 80mm or 90mm rather than a 100. The Vixen is a fattie by comparison, even more so with that outward flare at the back end of the dew shield. I feel that I've neglected the ED120 a bit of late but it's optics compare very well with the more exotic ones in the Tak and TMB / LZOS.

Good to hear as a Synta ED100 owner, I guess it only becomes telling at really high mags. Nice to know you've got the best with the LZOS and Tak though :)  

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 1

A Tak FC100-DL on old HEQ5 and a 130mm Sky Rover F/5 Sextuplet on ASA DDM60 :)

One is the perfect kinda grab and go while the other is a great imaging scope.IMG_3552.JPG

A few nights ago I grabbed this with a hour of Ha. Has one of my favourite regions, the Finger of God ;)

IMG_3547.JPG

The Sky Rover might be Chinese but they're making them pretty good these days. Much like the SW 100ED, fantastic for their price... not quite a DL though ;)

Edited by AtmosFearIC
  • Like 4

I think TS also sells those 130mm f/5 astrographs, but after my experiences with their 80mm f/4.4 went for a 130 f/7 and changeable flattener or reducer.

Agree with the DDM60 though, awesome mount.