Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally able to reach into the heavens!

Gutross

Growing up in Southwestern ontario canada, I could always look up and bask in the glory of the milky way. since the first time i pointed my Bushnell 10X50 to Andromida i have been in love with the stars.  Well my time has come, I have finally purchased a telescope! Mind you its not awesome, but a 76mm Celestron Reflector should get me started for brighter objects.  In addition to the Celestron Cosmos firstscope I purchased the astromaster Barlow/Filter/Lens kit so i could have a varity of magnifications from 15-100 well below the maximum useful magnification of this scope. 

Since highschool i have dreamed of Completing My Messier hunt!  this scope will not allow me to catch a glimpse of the entire catalog. But its a start!

I look forward to the insight i can receive from this forum to help further my knowledge and excitement for the universe around us

thank you

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With reasonable conditions you will get most of the messiers, they may not jump out at you excessively but could be visible. Ones like M1 will be a problam as it will be small.

I noted the bit saying - "so i could have a varity of magnifications from 15-100 well below the maximum useful magnification of this scope." - I suspect that 100x may be the top end of what the scope can sensibly produce. The claims made seem a bit optimistic on magnification. Would be nice if you can squeeze 120x out of it for Saturn.

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL. As above you should be able see most orf the messier objects, its finding them is the challenge!. To help download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try stellarium its great and free, to be found here :---- http://www.stellarium.org/ A couple of books to help you round the sky are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'

Have a a quick look at :-- http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-messier.html This is the messier catalogue with what you should see at the eyepiece.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm Just plug your scope data in and your eyepieces. Remember to click on 'switch to visual' button

With reasonable conditions you will get most of the messiers, they may not jump out at you excessively but could be visible. Ones like M1 will be a problam as it will be small.

I noted the bit saying - "so i could have a varity of magnifications from 15-100 well below the maximum useful magnification of this scope." - I suspect that 100x may be the top end of what the scope can sensibly produce. The claims made seem a bit optimistic on magnification. Would be nice if you can squeeze 120x out of it for Saturn.

120 would be nice if i can catch a glimpse of saturn. with this being a manual scope i would think it might be a pain keeping it within view without constant adjustment I am looking forward to catching it.

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL. As above you should be able see most orf the messier objects, its finding them is the challenge!. To help download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try stellarium its great and free, to be found here :---- http://www.stellarium.org/ A couple of books to help you round the sky are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'

Have a a quick look at :-- http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-messier.html This is the messier catalogue with what you should see at the eyepiece.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm Just plug your scope data in and your eyepieces. Remember to click on 'switch to visual' button

Thank you those links i had been searching for somthing like this!

Hi Gutross and welcome to SGL, Charles Messier was mostly a refractor man and his scope was not much bigger in aperture than yours with inferior glass, when he recorded the position of all those heavenly bodies to be avoided while comet hunting. The main thing to remember, most of the lighting in his day was by candle, so search for some very dark skies and you may be surprised how many more you can add to your list, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

Hi Gutross and welcome to SGL, Charles Messier was mostly a refractor man and his scope was not much bigger in aperture than yours with inferior glass, when he recorded the position of all those heavenly bodies to be avoided while comet hunting. The main thing to remember, most of the lighting in his day was by candle, so search for some very dark skies and you may be surprised how many more you can add to your list, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

it is such a shame how much LP hurts what we can see. and comming from canada to just south of the largest metro in texas the diffrence is disapointing. but it is still better than nothing. the second day after i recieved this small telescope i was able to get 45 minutes of gazing in before the clouds moved back in. transparancy was very poor but i still did enjoy it alot.  I had even caught a satalite and let my daughter see it, she was very excited to see the moving "star"

the primary target that night was venus, i was experimenting what i could see of the planet with only 30X it was still a dot.

I did try to use a point and shoot camera and snag a picture, but it just turned out to be a white blotch in a sea of black.

still though i really did enjoy myself!

though the weather has me a bit depressed, i have a telescope to use and want to be out there just gazing. but massive rains have hit texas and with that came serious cloud cover. the forcast says i might have clear skys sometime next week

Archived