NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Derby - a returning fanatic!!

Nigeyboy

Hi all,

I have been a ‘lurker’ here for a while, but thought now was a good time to join the community! A little background first –

I live in Derby in the East Midlands (originally from North Norfolk), and live here with my long suffering partner, and our two amazing children (girl, 14 and boy, 7). About 10 years ago, I owned a Helios 150 reflector on an EQ3-2 mount. I never really got the use I wanted from it, being city bound and not able to drive at the time, and ended up selling it. As time has progressed, I am now a little more affluent, and now have a car, which means I can get out of the city to find a dark site. I now want to get back into astronomy, and am planning to get a little portable set up together to allow me to get back into observing.

I have two holidays planned this year – both in the UK. A trip  to the Lake District at the end of this month, and then a week near Pembroke at the end of August. It was this that reignited my interest. The thought of going to some really dark areas and seeing the sky in all its glory!!! My son has also shown an interest, and if he wants to learn then all the better!! I have tons of astronomy books gathered over the years, and he often enjoys looking through them with me – he loves the idea of Supernovas, and recently at school told the teacher all about nuclear fusion within the Sun!! That’s my boy!!

So, my current plan is as follows – I am looking at getting an EQ3-2 or EQ5 mount and either a Skywatcher 80 or 102 shorty. Nothing to write home about, but I think these are as good a place to start as any – I’m sure they won’t be the last mount and telescope I purchase either!! The need for portability narrows the choices somewhat, I don’t / can’t spend a fortune on things. I’m browsing Astrobuy and Sell, waiting for the right kit to come up for sale!!

So I am here on the site to re-learn a load of stuff I have probably forgotten, and to share my experiences along the way. So ‘Hi everyone!!’ – I’m here for long haul lol!!

Cheers for reading

Nige

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL. An ST80 or ST102 will give very nice wide-field views, and is certainly worth getting. I also got myself a very portable set-up: a Vixen Great Polaris mount (of which the EQ5 is a clone), and a Celestron C8. Not cheap but a lot of aperture in a very compact and lightweight package. I also have an 80mm wide field scope, which is used mainly for solar, and the occasionaly outing on wide-field targets. The C8 spends most nighttime sessions on the mount, because it shows so much more. Getting yourself an EQ5 would be the more future proof path than the EQ3-2

Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm really quite excited to be getting back into, what has been a life long interest in astronomy. I remember my dad showing me the constellations through his Green Cat 10x50's when I was about 5 years old.

@Michael - that was my thought RE the EQ5. I know its planning ahead, but hey what the hell!! I am looking at a 150 newt at some point in the future, so the EQ5 would be best I think.

Hey welcome back Nige! I also have a 150mm Helios which has still yet to have its proper first light after nearly 2 1/2 years of being moved around the country with me, to settling down disassembled down the side of my mothers wardrobe (the scope not me!)! Its great to see there's a cool astro revival going on right now, myself including, so do be reassured that you haven't been the only one "lurking" over such a long period of time.  Both those scopes sounds pretty cool to get re-initiated, and you will get loads of great advice from the guys on here as a born-again newbie.  Have fun and clear skies :) Nat x

Yeah, the Helios 150 was a good set up - I'm just gutted I sold it, but it was not getting used so it had to go. However, you live and learn, and as I said, now I am mobile with a car (didn't actually take my test till I was 30!!) I can now make proper use of any equipment I decide to get.

I'm 28 on Sunday and still not driving, however that is something I intend to get round to doing after our October holiday in Galloway (yes, across the loch from the Forest Park Dark Sky Site :) :) :) ) Then, being able to get onto the Downs and Ashdown Forest away from LP will warrant the effort of reassembling the Helios. Can't wait! x

Hi Nige and welcome to SGL and your return to Astronomy. If your purse strings are a little tight, many good s/h items appear on Astro/buysell, an EQ5 mount and something with a good starting aperture around 150mm, in the meantime rediscover the heavens with a pair of binoculars, which you can share with your Son, enjoy :)

@nige,

Its on the hill at the cricket club, somewhat restricted through the summer as they use the club house. In the winter its ideal though I have had a complete layer of ice over my sct when up there!.

Wow!! What a fantastic welcome!! I'm loving this site!!

Not heard of Astroboot John so will have a look. I have been looking on AStrobuysell, but some kit I have seen is not in my area, and posting a used EQ5 would be a tad expensive lol!! I will keep looking!

Expect the questions to start soon - I have a ton of queries I can't find answers for!!

Archived