Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 & 13hrs over four nights in April.

theo

It's a fantastic image for sure, lots of detail. I don't think the saturation is too high n the first version at all, I'd just like to see some of those magentas toned down more in to blues / reds. Overall superb image though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Felix. Yes it was a fair amount of work but it's a passion and I enjoy the processing as much as the capturing. What a great hobby this is!!

Pete.

Couldn't agree more. Amazing picture, the fact that this kind of image is even possible still amazes me.

Breathtaking! What I aspire to!

What equipment did you use?

Alexxx

Hi Alex,

Thank you!!

The scope is an LX200ACF 305mm aperture. Camera used is a QSI683wsg with Baader LRGB & Ha filters. Acquisition software Maxim DL Pro. The scope is on its original fork mounting and because it works and guides well once it is correctly balanced I have no plans to defork to put it on a GEM at the moment. I like do like the fact of being able to image uninterrupted from East to West!! It will do 20min subs no problem, maybe longer.

Optically I think it is a great scope and it does well on the planets as well as the smaller deep sky objects so I like the versatility as well.

Pete

I never thought that fork-mounted scopes could take such long subs! Do you get field rotation? Brilliant job.

I'd like to know about field rotation also, do you have a wedge? I can't believe this was taken with a fork mount, amazing even if you do have a wedge?

Hi Alex and Chris,

Many thanks.

Yes the scope is mounted on a wedge so field rotation becomes a non-issue. The mount software has a Polar mode for this purpose and this is set via the hand controller. The telescope is drift aligned to give a nice accurate Polar alignment and I have done a PEC training routine with Pempro to improve over the standard inbuilt PEC. Also I apply a good dynamic balance (ie both with the OTA vertically and horizontally) with a slight east fork bias and that's about it. 

Thanks also to Paul & Stuart for the generous comments!

Pete

Archived